REFLECTOR: Aileron Mounting Screws

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Nov 8 11:38:16 CST 2011


The manual calls for using AN526 non-structural screws to mount the 
ailerons to the wing.
I personally don't like these softer screws because the Phillips head 
always seems to get a little messed up.  I like the structural ones a 
lot better, but I was wondering if it would be okay to use a countersunk 
structural screw?

What are the pull out forces in fiberglass for these two types of screw 
heads?

I have a lot of filler on my wings where the screws attach.  I used to 
use the pan head screws clamping down on this filler, so I dremelled out 
the filler to the glass, and floxed the remaining depression for a very 
hard surface that will handle the compression.  It seems to me that I 
have almost 1/4" of fiberglass/flox for the screw to fasten to, and 
using a countersunk screw here seems reasonable.

Any thoughts on this?  As long as there's no flutter, there shouldn't be 
that much longitudinal force on these screws.


More information about the Reflector mailing list