REFLECTOR: AOA indicator (was: heated pitot)

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Mon Nov 7 11:03:05 CST 2011


This installation looks like it works well for a FG, but on a retract it doesn't work.  That's why I went with the right angle mount on the side of the fuselage under the canard.  I'll try to find some pictures.

I think that the AOA is very useful on a canard.  We don't have a stall warning system, so this gives us one.  The display shows you a range of green, yellow and red.  When you hit the red expect the canard to stall and the nose to drop.  There is a noticeable difference in the airspeed at which this occurs, depending on if you have a passenger up front or not.  I find it helps to keep the landing speeds down while knowing that you are not about to drop it in.  

Regards,
Glenn

N697RG
Elite RG, flying

On Nov 7, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Ruben Creus wrote:

> By the way, there is the picture of where it is installed. Just under the nose.
>  
> I think I like symmetry, so I did not like it hanging out on one side. In the center looks nice and reads great so far!
>  
> P.D.: This model comes with angle of attack reader, but you can read it only if you have a dynon unit. Not that you really used too much with a canard, bit nice thing to show off ;-)   
> <image002.jpg>
>  
> From: Chris Barber [mailto:cbarber at texasattorney.net] 
> Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 5:42 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Cc: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: heated pitot
>  
> Not sure of the compatibility or if it is an issue, but Dynon has a heated pitot for $450 IIRC. Much cheaper than most I think. 
>  
> Chris
> 
> Sent from my iPhone 4
> 
> On Nov 5, 2011, at 3:44 PM, "Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> Lou,
>>  
>> I have a surplus shark fin pitot static on the nose of my plane.  The static port doesn't work because the pressure wave from the nose messes up the static reading but the pitot works fine and it's heated.  I think you would need about a 3 foot boom to get the static port to work but I expect you already have a separate static port.  If you look in the AS catalog you wont be happy at the prices.  Try this link.
>> http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_597429_Shark+fin+Pitot+head.html
>>  
>> Larry Coen
>> N136LC
>>  
>> From: Lou Stedman
>> Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 2:49 PM
>> To: Velocity Reflector
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: heated pitot
>>  
>> My standard Velo is an older model and is equipped with a VOR, ILS, and a GPS for IFR. Unfortunately it does not have a heated pitot, which I understand is required to have it IFR certified. I am planning on installing a heated pitot this winter and was wondering what others have used. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
>>  
>> Lou Stedman
>> Velocity SEFG
>> N7044Q
>> Olean, NY
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111107/ce8d1792/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list