REFLECTOR: IFR GPS

Richard J. Gentil richard at naples-air-center.com
Mon May 30 13:11:23 CDT 2011


Lou,

Just a note. You are the factory. You decide what makes your plane IFR, not the FAA. 

Richard

Sent from my iPhone 4

On May 30, 2011, at 1:51 PM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> It might be just in the paperwork.  When I bought my plane I was told that my Apollo 2001 gps was not IFR certified.  However there was no placard "for VFR use only".  Also it came with an IFR database which Garmin will not sell you unless they're convinced you have an IFR gps.  When I did my IFR training the instructor evaluated it and one-by-one we addressed all the issues.  My manual states that for approaches the gps software must be version 5 or greater (mine is 5.1).  Mine does not have an external CDI.  I convinced the instructor that the CDI on my gps was actually more useful than the standard needle one.  The gps was a bit off to the right beyond the distance it should be.  However I had several hundred hours using it and I demonstrated to my instructor that I could use it without affecting my scan of the other instruments.  The main thing the examiner wanted to see was the flight manual supplement, which I had.  Maybe some of this will help.
> John
> 
> Lou Stedman wrote:
> 
>>  
>> Does anyone know what the difference is between a certified IFR GPS and a non-certified. I have a Garmin 150XL with a sticker that states “not for IFR” while others say their 150 XL is certified for IFR. 
>> Lou Stedman 
>> Velocity SEFG 
>> N7044Q 
>> Olean, NY
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110530/72ec9b79/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list