REFLECTOR: Franklin Will not turnover when hot
Laurence Coen
lwcoen at hotmail.com
Fri May 27 13:12:34 CDT 2011
Mike & WJ,
My brother made two starter nose pieces, the first of which is shown in the photos. The recess where the mounting bolts go are machined on the wrong side. Number two is in use. I think that your hot start problems are related to heat soaking the starter motor and the reason for the third picture. My belly scoop is extended down 1" to increase air flow over the oil sump and the accessory case. I wasn't so concerned about the starter but the alternator getting too hot. I have #2 wire and never a hot start problem. A plenum mounted blast tube for the starter might be the solution.
Mike. You may be able to use my "spare" nose piece if you trim off the mounting ears and add an "L" shaped bracket to clamp the starter in place. If you want it email me off reflector with your address and I'll send it to you.
Larry Coen
N136LC
P.S.: My brother is retired and no longer has access to a machine shop.
From: Michael Watson
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:13 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin Will not turnover when hot
Larry,
Mine came with the same starter and adapter plate. I replaced the original starter with a skytex and then a ford (NAPA 2446115),
but still the same problem. I have never had a problem with adapter plate, but you are right, it is poorly made and is
prone to leak oil back into the starter solenoid. Would your brother consider making one for me? PM me if he can.
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Laurence Coen <lwcoen at hotmail.com> wrote:
Mike,
My Franklin came with a Honda Civic starter with a very poorly made, welded-up adapter plate. Luckily my brother was a tool and die maker and produced an adapter of my design from an aluminum billet. The battery is a 55 AHR Optima deep discharge with #2 wire. Never a starting problem.
Larry Coen
N136LC
From: Michael Watson
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:38 PM
To: Reflector
Subject: REFLECTOR: Franklin Will not turnover when hot
To all Franklin powered Velocity owners.
From new, I have always had a problem starting the engine within ten to thirty minutes after landing.
The engine will turn to it's first compression stroke then stop. After three or four try's I'll just have to
wait thirty minutes, then the engine will turnover and start within one or two power stroke/s.
This is annoying if you just want to make a quick fuel stop.
I have replaced the Concord 35x with an Odyssey PC1200MJT 40AH battery 1200 Amp. starting current
with the same result. I have placed another Odyssey 960 battery behind the rear left seat, and wired it
so it parallels the front battery when the starter is engaged, still same problem. A year or so ago, some
one on the reflector suggested replacing the starter with a ford part number. I did that, still same problem.
The plane was originally wired with #2 wire, all connectors were power crimped, the connectors to and
from the contractors are cleaned, treated and re tightened at each annual. I realize that the Franklin has
10.5:1 compression and when hot, can actually be slightly more, but my BMW M5 engine is also 10.5:1
compression and the same battery spins the engine very fast hot or cold. Could the problem be that the
starter is being heat soaked, which reduces it's efficiency? Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
BTW: I tried a Skytek starter which broke on the first start. it went into the garbage.
--
Mike W.
1997 Velocity Elite RG
Franklin /IVO Electric CS
Dual GRT EFIS HX Synthetic Vision
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
Mike W.
1997 Velocity Elite RG
Franklin /IVO Electric CS
Dual GRT EFIS HX Synthetic Vision
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110527/8183554a/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Photo05241207.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 220373 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110527/8183554a/attachment-0003.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Photo05241208.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 194887 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110527/8183554a/attachment-0004.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Photo05241253.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 102291 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110527/8183554a/attachment-0005.jpg>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list