REFLECTOR: Franklin Will not turnover when hot

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:57:09 CDT 2011


John T.

It was a skytek F12ST1, I don't think they carry it anymore.
#2 wire goes directly from the negative battery terminal to a large engine
bolt right
below the starter mount.



On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM, John Tvedte <johnt at comp-sol.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
>
>
> Curious what version of the skytec starter you tried?
>
>
>
> What about the engine ground – where is that located?  Is that #2 wire as
> well?
>
>
>
> John T
>
> XL FG IO-540
>
>
>
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Michael Watson
> *Sent:* Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:39 PM
> *To:* Reflector
>
> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Franklin Will not turnover when hot
>
>
>
> To all Franklin powered Velocity owners.
>
>
> From new, I have always had a problem starting the engine within ten to
> thirty minutes after landing.
> The engine will turn to it's first compression stroke then stop. After
> three or four try's I'll just have to
> wait thirty minutes, then the engine will turnover and start within one or
> two power stroke/s.
> This is annoying if you just want to make a quick fuel stop.
>
> I have replaced the Concord 35x with an Odyssey PC1200MJT 40AH battery 1200
> Amp. starting current
> with the same result.  I have placed another Odyssey 960 battery behind the
> rear left seat, and wired it
> so it parallels the front battery when the starter is engaged, still same
> problem. A year or so ago, some
> one on the reflector suggested replacing the starter with a ford part
> number. I did that, still same problem.
>
> The plane was originally wired with #2 wire, all connectors were power
> crimped, the connectors to and
> from the contractors are cleaned, treated and re tightened at each annual.
> I realize that the Franklin has
> 10.5:1 compression and when hot, can actually be slightly more, but my BMW
> M5 engine is also 10.5:1
> compression and the same battery spins the engine very fast hot or cold.
> Could the problem be that the
> starter is being heat soaked, which reduces it's efficiency?  Is anyone
> else experiencing this problem?
>
> BTW:  I tried a Skytek starter which broke on the first start. it went into
> the garbage.
> --
> Mike W.
> 1997 Velocity Elite RG
> Franklin /IVO Electric CS
> Dual GRT EFIS HX Synthetic Vision
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



-- 
Mike W.
1997 Velocity Elite RG
Franklin /IVO Electric CS
Dual GRT EFIS HX Synthetic Vision
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110518/90fe6345/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list