REFLECTOR: Charging failure
Terry Miles
terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 12:05:11 CDT 2011
Ah, more true confessions. I am in my third season flying now, and have found a couple of wires here and there with the insulation chaffed. More Zen practice with looking at all the wiring you can during the condition inspection esp like going in and out of the utility channel.
Here is another...my alternator output wire (12 awg) goes thru a 60amp protector then to the input side of my starter coil and then back forward via a #2 awg to the battery. On the back of the starter coil there is a 5/16ths nut and protruding bolt for the rings terminals. There was arcing on that nut and bolt....maybe I used too big star washer...or didn't snug it up properly. The bolt comes out of piece of phenolic so that might have been the my thinking to go easy on the tq. Moral of the story: (from my amateur 2 cents): Think about all the mechanical metal-to-metal contacts in your main harness and be sure they are clean and tight to include the all the hold down bolts on the alternator itself.
Last on switches or small stuff behind the panel, be careful when you have to stuff your hand or arm in there to get at something. Don't strain on any wire runs. In any bundle there is a "least slack" wire that could be feeling 90% of your forcing the whole bundle out your way.
Terry
From: bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 10:21:40 -0500
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Charging failure
Like most folks, if I smell something in the cockpit, I always worry about fire—but usually brainstorm engine fire scenarios or oil issues (like the front oil cooler Brett). I may very well have smoked the alt switch on the power panel. Another thing to check. I did notice that when I turned the alt switch on and off with the engine running, there was a minor “twinge” on the ammeter for a microsecond, but no charging. Using my Homer Simpson logic, I thought that may have meant the switch and field wire were okay. Duh.
Bill Stockman
Senior Associate
Dayton Aerospace, Inc.
937.426.4300 Office
937.369.4799 Cell
bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Ron Stacey
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:11 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Charging failure
Bill,
I’m running a B&C Specialty (www.bandc.biz) LR3C regulator ($228), and a B&C Specialty L-60 Alternator ($685), on my Glasair IO360B1E (dual electronic ignition). I have 1,400 hours (8 years) on it with no issues. My #2 60 amp wire from the alternator to the circuit breaker wore through and shorted on the engine mount, a big problem (very long story). Anyway, Bill Bainbridge at B&C was really great in helping me get that problem sorted out. These parts aren’t cheap, but they perform and the service is fantastic. Definitely will be putting the same set up on the Velocity. Thanks, Ron Stacey
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:03 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Charging failure
I had a very similar experience several years ago (except no strange odor) on a two hour flight. My system voltage gradually decreased from 14 normal. Reaching destination it was down to 12.8. I had a mechanic at the airport check it while I attended some business meetings. The alternator was removed, checked, and found to be working fine. The mechanic kept searching and finally determined that my alt switch was bad. I have a Cessna switch, the right side for main and the left for alt. The mechanic by-passed the switch so I could get home and replace it.
John
--- bill.stockman at daytonaero.com wrote:
From: "Stockman, Bill" <bill.stockman at daytonaero.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Elite/FG - Long Wing Performance...?
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 07:53:38 -0500
Empty weight is about 1450+ last I looked.
Another issue, I went out yesterday to fly to a local fly-in (ten whole miles away) and had to abort and come back when by charging system died. I elected to return my home airport (and hangar full of tools) rather than possibly get stuck somewhere else. Anyway, the symptoms for a few flights prior to the total failure where the ammeter needle waving back and forth while initially charging, low volt readings (abut 12.5-13). I even smelled a strange odor in the cockpit for a few seconds (of course, that might have been me). As a I approached the fly-in airport I did my prelanding scan and noticed the ammeter total showing a major discharge with volts down to about 12.5. I reset the alt switches and checked all breakers but the system did not come back on line. I turned off the non-essentials and came home. I pulled the cowl, checked the wires going to the alt and the belt, and everything look okay. I checked the battery connections and it was okay. Restarted the engine and no change.
Any suggestions before I start taking things apart? This was the alternator kit I got from Velocity with the built in regulator. I think the alternator is 55 amps. Any idea which car it comes from since there is not id numbers on the alternator or nothing on the installation instructions.
Bill Stockman
Senior Associate
Dayton Aerospace, Inc.
937.426.4300 Office
937.369.4799 Cell
bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Dennis Martin
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2011 10:39 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Elite/FG - Long Wing Performance...?
Lifting off at 60 sounds good, especially for a heavier airframe. What's your empty weight? I'm doing W & B next week and will let you know my empty weight with Chevy V-6. Good to hear from a fellow FGE LW.
Dennis Martin
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Stockman, Bill <bill.stockman at daytonaero.com> wrote:
I’ve got a classic “97” FGE LW with a Lyc IO360C1C and the three blade CATO prop with about 700 hrs on the engine and airframe. I normally cruise at about 2500 RPM, 155 kts, burning 11-12 gph. Full throttle on a good day, 2750 rpm, 13-14 gph and 165 kts. I don’t use the nose wheel pant (shimmy issues) and have vortilons, VGs and trailing edge fences on the wings. Flying solo it will climb at 1500+ fpm, at gross, maybe 500 fpm initially. My plane is relatively heavy which matches the pilot. I’m off the ground at 60Kts and can use 2000 ft paved strips.
Bill Stockman
Senior Associate
Dayton Aerospace, Inc.
937.426.4300 Office
937.369.4799 Cell
bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of flykb at verizon.net
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:28 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Elite/FG - Long Wing Performance...?
Hi All,
I was wondering what kind of performance the folks with an Elite/FG Long Wing were getting?
And engine/prop combination.
Thanks
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
All the best,
Dennis
_______________________________________________ To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________ To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110503/1f2a86b0/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list