REFLECTOR: 300 HP in a Standard
Richard J. Gentil
richard at naples-air-center.com
Wed Mar 30 10:06:04 CDT 2011
What I expect out of the IO-390 is a greater climb rate with a little more on the top end. I have dual electronic ignition which should give good gains in speed and fuel burn at altitude. I will report back when I am at that point in my testing.
I would think that you get more gain from going from dual mags to dual EI vs going from an IO-360 to an IO-390.
As a note, I'm running a MT CS Prop which helps with takeoff roll as well as cruise speed.
Richard
Sent from my iPhone 4
On Mar 30, 2011, at 10:50 AM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure how much more speed an IO390 would give you over an IO360? A 10 HP increase?
>
> I installed an IO520 into my STD RG and am just finishing the testing phase. I have about 25 hours of flight time on it now.
>
> I've had problems getting the Catto prop to do what he thought it would. I'm still not really happy with the current prop. I went through 3 mods of the 1st one and 3 mods of the 2nd and current one.
>
> I use less take off runway than before(io360), but not that much less, I have a definite higher cruise speed but could cruise faster if I had more pitch, which would increase my runway use for take off. I haven't been able to find a satisfactory sweet spot that uses noticeably less runway and cruises noticeably faster.
>
> A CS prop would probably be able to utilize the increased HP and provide much better performance on both ends.
>
> Right now it appears on the rich side of peak I can cruise at about 185 ktas burning about 12.5 gph. Thats turning the engine at about 2600 RPM. Those are initial figures, and I haven't done any long distance flying to verify. I can do better than that speed wise but the fuel burn goes up appreciably. I've done a couple 75 LOP runs burning about 9-10 gph at about 165 KTAS which is what my io360 did. I think my LOP speeds will increase when I get a couple outlyer cylinders tuned in. At 50 LOP I have one cylinder running at 125-150 LOP which is probably just about ready to quit, which means I'm only running on 5 cylinders at that point.
>
> Now that my cooling issues appear to be behind me I can do some extended range testing to verify the ROP and LOP performance with my current prop.
>
> Scott
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: REFLECTOR: 300 HP in a Standard
> From: velocityoner at yahoo.com
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 03/30/2011 12:21 AM
>
>> I have forgotten which builder was installing the 300 HP in the standard. How about an update?
>> Anyone know of any IO 390 installations in a standard? I'm just wondering about how to go faster.
>> Victor Taylor
>> Velocity N93DV
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
> --
> Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
> Ralph Waldo Emerson
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list