REFLECTOR: Goose Repair Update (Engine Run)

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Mar 21 09:51:04 CDT 2011


This weekend, I ran the engine for the first time since the March 29th 
off field incident almost two years ago.

It feels good to be at this point again.

I modified the fuel system this time, making it simpler.  I removed the 
fuel shutoff valve, and in its place mounted a needle valve for the 
backup injection.  I removed the backup electronic injection system, not 
because it didn't work, but because it's adding complexity for these 
early flights.  I will add it back in at a later time.  Who knows this 
manual arrangement may work so well that I just keep the needle valve 
regulating assembly.
I am using a two bladed prop for testing in order to get my static RPM's 
up so that I can map out my fuel table.

The engine ran well.  I was able to get 2700 RPM, and calibrated my 
mixture at 1000, 1500 and 2000 RPM all with fine pitch.  All fittings 
are tight, so no leaks.  In order to increase my testing time, I used 
two leaf blowers into the plenums to keep CHT's down.  That really makes 
a big difference.  I can get ten minutes on a run, and I think I'll add 
another blower to the oil cooler, which will let me run indefinitely.  
In all I put 45 minutes on the engine this weekend.

The backup injection was tested, and works well.

The problems I need to work on is a hard cold engine start.  Something's 
not right there, and I only get a few tries per day to work on it.  It 
also runs very poorly on the magneto, so I need to see what's up there 
as well.


More information about the Reflector mailing list