REFLECTOR: Flowscan plumming

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 10:53:57 CDT 2011


I suspected you had it all figured out, I just thought I would through this information out to the group. I can't say that I have seen the subject discussed before on the reflector. I found it looking for a cheaper sensor. I did find a better priced sensor at the time, but not a better sensor.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 16, 2011, at 7:27 PM, "Alex Balic" <velocity_pilot at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hey Andy-
> I know about the abrupt bends prior to the sensors, but I had them oriented so that I could bolt them to the firewall (wires facing aft)  flowscan said that that is not a good orientation for them, and that they need to be rotated so that the wires face up- of course then I need to make a bracket to bolt them to, and they do not fit as close to the firewall that way, so I had to make new lines so that they could sit in the only orientation that Flowscan claims will give accurate readings and not damage the sensors.
>  
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
> Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:41 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Flowscan plumming
>  
> Alex,
>  
> Not to but in, but there is a lot of documentation on the flowscan sensors, that says that in order to get the most accurate readings, there shouldn't be any abrupt bends coming in or out of your Flowscan sensor. I found several STC's and articles showing proper pluming to correct fuel flow discrepancies. In most cases operators or the STC holder installed specific lengths of Aeroquip hose on the inlet and outlet of the sensor. The issue is turbulence of the fuel through the sensor. The use of sweeping bends and certain lengths of hose in and out of the sensor seems to be the key.
>  
> I'm not flying yet, so I haven't been able to test my set up, but I considered all of this data when making my pluming through my sensor. If an STC holder using the flowscan sensor had problems, I would say that the data is valid. My results are yet to be determined.
>  
> I have attached two documents for your review if you or anyone else is interested.
>  
> Andy Ellzey
>  
> From: Alex Balic <velocity_pilot at verizon.net>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Tue, March 15, 2011 7:52:30 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: tube flare question
> 
> I am pretty sure that the tool Matt has allows the screw to turn but the cone to just push against the tube causing the finish that you see on the picture, the aviation flare tools lock the cone to the screw, so that it burnishes the flare as it forms it- I prefer to use the white grease on mine, but any lube will work I suppose.   I have been out working with the tool the past couple of days to re-orient the flow sensors on my fuel system, since Flowscan claims that they will only work properly if horizontal with the wires facing up -  This is making my fuel routing a bit more complicated…..
>  
>  
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110316/2907ac81/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list