REFLECTOR: Paint crack in Fuselage-Strake transition

Stockman, Bill bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
Tue Mar 8 14:10:48 CST 2011


I have several I can commiserate with you about.   The problem is that ten years ago (or more) many of us decided to make nice large radiuses (using PVC pipe).  Looks great, but guaranteed to crack unless you laid one or two layers of bid on top (and past the radius) and then added another thin coat to hide the weave.   Fix is either sand it all out and replace, or sand down and lay bid on top.    I have learned to "live" with  mine until the next paint job.

Bill Stockman
Senior Associate
Dayton Aerospace, Inc.

937.426.4300  Office
937.369.4799  Cell
bill.stockman at daytonaero.com


-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:45 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Paint crack in Fuselage-Strake transition

Before I repainted I had minute cracks in the bend radius that 
transitioned form the fuselage to the strake, very close to the 
rear(spar) area.

When I bought the plane, during the pre-buy inspection, we actually 
sanded into the micro and verified they were just on the surface.  
Brendan said they were very common and not to worry, the structure was 
sound.

Now with my new paint job I noticed yesterday after about 20 hours of 
flying there was a very thin crack in the paint.  Right in the same damn 
spot!

Anybody else have these?  Is there a cure or do you just live with them?

Scott

-- 
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list