REFLECTOR: Fuel Sight Gauges

vance atkinson nostromo56 at tx.rr.com
Mon Jun 6 17:00:01 CDT 2011


On 6/5/2011 12:45 AM, Al Gietzen wrote:
>
> As I've mentioned previously; if you intend to use auto fuels, don't 
> use the Atkinson gauge. The white plastic background material is not 
> compatible -- unless it has been changed within the past couple of years.
>
> Al
>
> -----Original Message-----
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
> *On Behalf Of *Tom Falls
> *Sent:* Saturday, June 04, 2011 6:11 AM
> *To:* 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Fuel Sight Gauges
>
> On the topic of sight gauges (from Low fuel warning thread), I've 
> heard rumblings of issues with the Atkinson gauges. I'm getting ready 
> to install them. What are the watch-outs and/or improvements to make 
> sure they remain effective and useful for the life of the plane? Or is 
> it a matter of avoiding certain fuels?
>
> Tom
>
>
They are not approved for auto fuel anymore and for the past several 
years the mfgs have been putting things in the fuel (and not telling the 
public) that can make the gauges crack and also soften.  The gauges  are 
certainly NOT to be used with ethanol.  I just use Av gas in my COZY, 
and for 25 years have had NO problems.

I usually tell builders if you HAVE  to use auto fuel (no ethanol in it) 
then put it the tank and use it up right away on your flight.  don't let 
it sit there for a month.

Vance Atkinson
EAA Tech and Flt Advisor
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110606/3c61c64b/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list