REFLECTOR: Fuel Tank Questions
Chris Barber
cbarber at texasattorney.net
Thu Jun 2 20:21:46 CDT 2011
While I never found a smoking gun, my Jeffco failed in both tanks (built weeks apart) and I had to essentially rebuild them. I sent a sample to Velocity of the failed Jeffco and they too were at a loss. Never got a sample to Jeffco as I believe it was during the sale of the company and I was pretty focused on the removal of the Jeffco and rebuild of my strakes.
I am not usually too arrogant about all my processes, but I am certain I prepped the strakes properly as is my buddy who was acting as my FU watchdog at the time. I rebuilt with EZ84 and have had a sample card in the local ethanol contaminated gas from across the street of the airport since the rebuild, about three years now. So far so good......damn, I hate that expression in aviation ;-)
Chris Barber
Houston KEFD
N-17010
________________________________
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] on behalf of Erik Franks [efranks at frugalmedia.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:01 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel Tank Questions
The velocity is a bit tricky to get into due to all the baffles in the strakes. I cut into my strake though because I missed a couple spots along the leading edge and re-applied Jeffco. Sealed perfectly.
Basically the process is to grab your harbor freight multitool and cut the top skin. This hole should be an 1/2" bigger all the way around than the hole you will cut into the actual tank skin. This will allow you to cut a piece of blue foam to patch the hole very easily. Very good preparation is key in regard to sanding and getting the Jeffco everywhere. Two coats of Jeffco applied 20-30 minutes apart should help with any pin holes. Also, Jeffco is super sticky and nothing I've found gets it off skin so covering with a tyvek suit and gloves at this point would be a good idea.
Email with any questions.
-Erik Franks
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM, none <markinchampions at gmail.com<mailto:markinchampions at gmail.com>> wrote:
I purchased a completed airframe, however the fuel tanks have not been sealed for auto fuel use. Has anyone accomplished this?
Mark
Kit Ser # DM0094
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110603/e9104283/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list