REFLECTOR: Piston

Mike Dawson medawson250 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 21:43:41 CDT 2011


I am not a machinist but I do know , you must be careful not to change the metallurgy of the rod or wrist pin as you weld the weight in. I don't believe a machine fit will be good enough at RPM.
Unless you are a trained machinist, don't take this on yourself. It's one thing to remove and replace a cylinder. Quite another to heat treat, stress relieve, and balance a motor.
Just my two cents.  

Michael E Dawson
ATCI CFII


On Jul 11, 2011, at 7:16 PM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> The wrist pins are hollow.  My idea is to machine a second hollow pin that fits in the wrist pin.
> 
> John
> 
> Mike Dawson wrote:
> 
>> You can't just add a stick on weight if that is what you mean but a good machinist should be able to weld up something. It is however, critical that the engine is balanced.
>> 
>> Michael E Dawson
>> ATCI CFII
>> 
>> On Jul 11, 2011, at 6:33 PM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> I'm replacing a piston.  The new one is 35 grams lighter than the old
>>> one.  I need to have the weight the same as the opposing piston.  I
>>> could machine the opposing one or replace it with a lighter one, but I'd
>>> prefer if I didn't have to.  Can I add weight inside the wrist pin of
>>> the lighter one?
>>> 
>>> John
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>> 
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list