REFLECTOR: NACA VGs

John Abraham john at velocityaircraft.com
Sat Jul 9 18:19:06 CDT 2011


1.5" at tips and 3" at back of vg's. You use canard vg template. Should be about 3" in front of nacas. 

John Abraham
Out of the office from my iPhone

On Jul 9, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure how I got the 12 inch's, I was at the hanger and measured they are 7,5 inches in front of the submergence zone.  
> 
> I used the template that was posted to position them.  I tried using my CCI VG's which are about 1/4 to /13 inch tall.  I didn't get any measurable drop in CHT's .  I increased them to 3/4 inch at somebodies suggestion and saw 5-10 degree reduction in temps.
> 
> I then added augmenters to the NACA's per a Cozy blog and that really helped.
> 
> Scott
> 
> 
> 
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA VGs
> From: Darrell & Nora Kufalk <kufalk at wi.rr.com>
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 07/09/2011 12:44 PM
>> Wow. ¾” high seems really tall.  I was thinking they only need to be ¼” tall.  Also, what angle do they work best at?
>>  
>> Took this picture at the Velocity booth at OSH back in 2008.  This is what I was trying to duplicate.
>> <mime-attachment.jpg>
>>  
>>  
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Scott Derrick
>> Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 1:24 PM
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA VGs
>>  
>> I've heard of anywhere from right at the point the NACA starts to submerge to 2 ft in front of that point.  
>> 
>> I had them a couple inches in front of  the submergence point and then moved them to about a ft in front which did seem to improve the cooling a bit.  Mine are 3/4 inches high, made from 1" aluminum angle, glued down with clear silicone.  two in front of each NACA, about as far apart as the entry width.
>> 
>> Scott
>> 
>> -------- Original Message --------
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: NACA VGs
>> From: Darrell & Nora Kufalk <kufalk at wi.rr.com>
>> To: reflector at tvbf.org
>> Date: 07/09/2011 12:09 PM
>> 
>> I have been looking everywhere to find instructions on where to place the VGs in front of the NACA scoops on the roof.  I also need to know what they are made from and what type of adhesive works best.
>>  
>>  
>>  
>>  
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>  
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>> The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.
>> Albert Einstein
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> -- 
> He who has injured thee was either stronger or weaker than thee. If weaker, spare him; if stronger, spare thyself.
> William Shakespeare
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110709/e55625dc/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list