REFLECTOR: Leak testing
Alex Balic
velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Thu Jul 7 11:21:00 CDT 2011
I tried the bobble level myself, but had an issue that it was difficult to
get the pressure built up in the tank that way, because of the volume of the
tank vs the volume of the water tube, so I just went with the high quality
(helium quality) balloon method- first try, it leaked down in about an hour-
found that leak in the fuselage joint, second try, it leaked down in about
24 hours- found that one where the tubing penetrates the cabin wall, third
time, it was sealed and held for 3 days without any noticeable leak down.
One thing I did also, was to pull a slight vacuum on the tank when I was
applying the thinned out jeffco to seal the leaks- it really worked well,
drawing the resin into the leaks- I just kept on them with a brush until the
jeffco was too thick to flow.
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Brian Michalk
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:49 AM
To: jerry at jlbent.com; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Leak testing
Yes, a water column works and is how I did it. It is still sensitive to
temp and barometer, but it doesn't leak like a balloon might.
On 7/7/2011 10:41 AM, jerry at jlbent.com wrote:
Hopefully I have addressed the balloon issue with the use of a bubble level
as the pressue vessel. I was think about creating a "barometer" to set up
along side this test rig so that I can compare the ambient temperature and
pressure effect to changes in the test rig.
Does that sound like it would work?
Jerry Brainard
Jerry at JLBEnt.com
-------Original Message-------
From: Laurence Coen
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Leak testing
Sent: Jul 07 '11 10:30am
I had trouble with the balloon method because I couldn't find a balloon that
didn't leak. 20" to 30" should be fine and see if it holds pressure. Just
remember that changes in temperature or barometer can run the pressure up or
down.
Larry Coen
N136LC
From: nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:55 AM
To: jerry at jlbent.com ; reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Leak testing
Jerry,
I did the old balloon test. Just to make sure I had a little pressure, I
put one big party balloon inside another, then pumped them up with my air
compressor. I rubber-banded them onto the fuel lines then added some tape.
Spray the connection with soapy water to check for leaks in the attachment.
This method worked for me as I found two rather small leaks in the outboard
corner near the front of the bulkhead.
There is probably a fancier method of doing it, but this seemed to work.
Kurt
-----Original Message-----
From: jerry at jlbent.com
To: Velocity Aicraft Owners and Builder list
Sent: Thu, Jul 7, 2011 8:49 am
Subject: REFLECTOR: Leak testing
To the Collective:
I am ready to leak test my tanks and was wondering what pressure is
appropriate. Obviously, too much is distructive, so I was wonder what
others have used. I see that the total height of the fuel from the bottom
of the sump to the top of the strake is about 20 inches. Since the wt. of
fuel is about 3/4 of water, to just meet the static fuel pressure would seem
to be about 15". I have a water column that I use to make the pressure
anything up to about 70 inches of water. So how far above the expected 20"
of fuel should I test?
Thoughts?
Jerry Brainard
Jerry at JLBEnt.com
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_____
size=2 width="100%" align=center>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110707/20421585/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list