REFLECTOR: Fuel Leak
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Jan 31 10:43:56 CST 2011
I think I have a dreaded fuel tank leak!
I calibrated my fuel sensors yesterday, which involves removing the 10
gallons I had on board and then filling the tanks in 2 gallon increments
until full. First time I've had the tanks full since I started this
engine upgrade.
After filling I took a short flight to shake down the 5 or 6 changes I'd
made(NACA augmenters, exhaust outlet diverters, crankshaft seal
plug(what a nightmare!), yet another oil leak fixed).. I smelled fuel
during the flight.
Landed and pulled the rear seat out and couldn't see any leaks in any of
the plumbing, its all new, hard aluminum... Made another longer flight
and the smell got worse. Had to turn on the external air vents and cut
short a planned 1 1/2 hour flight to 1 hour. Once back on the ground I
was pawing around in the back and found a wet spot near the fuel fitting
on the right side of the fuselage. Bummer!
I need to go down and drain that tank today, all 25 Gallons. I may need
to drain the other one to make the repairs.
So I want to get the order of repair correct.
1.) Drain tanks, expose area(remove interior covering)
2.) pressurize tank with shop vac and use soap to locate hole(s). How
much pressure? I think the fuselage in that area is a sandwich,
glass-foam-glass. So do I need to grind through the inner glass and
foam to find the point of leakage through the fuselage outer glass,
which is the actual fuel tank?
3.) Prep area for sealing.
4.) Apply vacuum using shop vac to tank, apply warm epoxy, allowing
vacuum to suck it into hole. Not sure how long you apply the suction?
1/2 an hour, until epoxy gells?
5.) verify fix using shop vac and soap?
6.) fill area with micro and apply new inner layer of glass
Is this correct?
Scott
--
I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan
More information about the Reflector
mailing list