REFLECTOR: Intercom noise

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sat Jan 8 22:21:38 CST 2011


I'm not an expert on magneto construction, but I agree it's strange.  
Not something I would expect.  The best part about this is that you 
stuck with it, narrowing the problem down to the magneto.

Some lipstick might be okay.  The problem I have with it is that 
something unknown is radiating that in the past did not radiate.  This 
indicates to me that something is broken somewhere, and could get 
worse.  The worst thing one can do is treat the symptom by addressing 
the intercom problem.  The true problem is the magneto.

The lipstick is okay whenever you pinpoint a very specific cause of an 
event.  You look at what the cause is, and determine for whatever reason 
that the radiating offender is nominal.  In those cases, It's okay to 
treat the symptom.  For a noisy intercom, I would add power filters, or 
do what's necessary.

Otherwise, consider the intercom noise as a gift to you telling you that 
something broke somewhere and needs maintenance.

On 01/08/2011 08:41 AM, aminetech at bluefrog.com wrote:
> Brian,
>
> If a bad plug wire is causing the noise, shouldn't the noise go away when I turn off the mag?  It doesn't, so I'm thinking the issue is within the mag.  I'm tempted to try a little lipstick before replacing wires.
>
> John
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list