REFLECTOR: Oil in Fiberglass

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Feb 22 09:48:29 CST 2011


How does this work?

Spray the freon in, and it penetrates the material, then pushes the oil out?

On 2/22/2011 8:19 AM, Alex Balic wrote:
>
> USE Freon- but make sure you get the can that does not have oil added 
> to it -, and make sure you keep your hands away from the liquid it is 
> very cold. It will take the oil out.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> *From:*reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
> *On Behalf Of *Al Gietzen
> *Sent:* Monday, February 21, 2011 7:42 PM
> *To:* 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Oil in Fiberglass
>
> Use a heat gun and see if oil bubbles out.
>
> John
>
> Be careful.  You could easily damage the foam core, and/or cause some 
> distortion of the fiberglass by heating above 160-170F.  And the oil 
> doesn't boil off; it will only come out due to expansion of air in the 
> pores.  Perhaps better off flushing with a solvent.
>
> Al
>
>
> --- humeno at microsoft.com wrote:
>
> From: Hiroo Umeno <humeno at microsoft.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil in Fiberglass
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 01:10:59 +0000
>
> I have the same issue in my nose compartment.  The oil cooler pipe had 
> a slow leak at the fitting and has saturated the un-sealed floor of 
> the nose compartment with oil.  I noticed it when I saw that the 
> cockpit floor was rather slippery.  Is there  way to get that out?  Or 
> is that a permanent "feature" of my plane?
>
> Hiroo
>
> *From:*reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
> *On Behalf Of *aminetech at bluefrog.com
> *Sent:* Saturday, February 19, 2011 5:49 PM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Oil in Fiberglass
>
> I didn't realize how porous fiberglass is.  The oil line connection to 
> the cooler was leaking.  I cleaned up the oil and was using a heat gun 
> on heat shrink tubing.  In the process the fiberglass under the cooler 
> got heated up and oil began bubbling out of the fiberglass, a LOT of 
> oil.  So I used the heat gun on all areas that had oil and more oil 
> came out.  When I have time, I'll check other areas to see what 
> bubbles out.
>
> John_______________________________________________ To change your 
> email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110222/113dd3e1/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list