REFLECTOR: Top Gloss

gstull at tampabay.rr.com gstull at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 09:53:41 CST 2011


I used the Top Gloss and had all the associated problems, peeling and flaking. The Smooth Prime was not problematic, at least in my case. I sanded down the Top Gloss, re-applied Smooth Prime and painted directly over it with Urethane. It's been on for several years now with no problems
---- Velocity <VelocityXL at fastmail.fm> wrote: 
> I have been on there site I did not see any thing that said they no longer sell it. Thou all of the distributors I looked at did not list it so Maybe you are right.
> Any thoughts on what to do now that my plane is covered in uv Smooth prime.
> 
> Ron
>   ----- Original Message ----- 
>   From: Stockman, Bill 
>   To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
>   Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:05 AM
>   Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Top Gloss
> 
> 
>   I tried it-a total waste of money and many hours to remove it.     It ran like a sprinter and never looked as good as any of the normal paints that are available. Worse, it started to peel off in flight.     
> 
>    
> 
>   Bill Stockman
> 
>   Senior Associate
> 
>   Dayton Aerospace, Inc.
> 
>    
> 
>   937.426.4300  Office
> 
>   937.369.4799  Cell
> 
>   bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
> 
>    
> 
>   From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Chris Barber
>   Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:24 AM
>   To: Velocity xl; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>   Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Top Gloss
> 
>    
> 
>   I am all but certain that Top Gloss was recalled years ago.  It had many problems including not adhering and flaking off.  John Slade, turbo-rotary powered Co-Z, had to sand all his off.
> 
>    
> 
>   Originally it was to be used with Smooth prime primer/filler which is still on the market and currently covers my plane.
> 
>    
> 
>   When I first got my project there was a great little booklet that showed every step on how to apply it in conjunction with the Smooth Prime.  I seemed promising...but, well, did not pan out.
> 
>    
> 
>   I think you can find more information on the Poly-fiber website.
> 
>    
> 
>   All the best,
> 
>    
> 
>   Chris Barber
> 
>   Houston, GSOT
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
>   From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] on behalf of Velocity xl [velocityxl at fastmail.fm]
>   Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:48 PM
>   To: reflector at tvbf.org
>   Subject: REFLECTOR: Top Gloss
> 
>    Any one painted there plane with  water base top coat (Top Gloss)?
> 
>    
> 
>   If so how did it work out?
> 
>    
> 
>   Ron
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
>   _______________________________________________
>   To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
>   Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>   user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>   Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list