REFLECTOR: Ailerons

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 30 13:24:17 CST 2011


Well, I tried it.


I clamped the aileron flush with the wing. If you put a medium amount of force on the stick, you can get maybe a total 3/8" back and forth. Even then you can see the ailerons trying to move against the clamps. Now I'm sure that I could crank the piss out of things and make the stick move further, but I don't see the point. 


Think I will just leave things alone for now. Otherwise I will never get this thing in the air :) 


Back to sanding.


Kurt 
173 FGE








-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: Jim Agnew <Jim_Agnew_2 at yahoo.com>; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Fri, Dec 30, 2011 7:02 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ailerons


              Kurt,
    
    something easily tested!  Clamp the aileron to the wing with a C    clamp and get in ant move the stick?
    
    I have the STD wings, but I didn't think the long wings added that    much length to the torque tubes?
    
    Scott
    
    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ailerons
    From: Jim Agnew <jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com>
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list    <reflector at tvbf.org>, Kurt <nmflyer1 at aol.com>
    Date: 12/30/2011 10:30 AM
    
      
        
Kurt, I can            assure you that with the long wing Sam Dasilva & I found            that you could hold the ailerion trailing edge flush with            the wing trailing edge with your thumb & forefinger and            move the stick full right            & left and the aileron would not move!
          
        
 
        
James F. Agnew
        
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
        
Tampa, FL
        
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying
        

          
            
              
                  From:                  "nmflyer1 at aol.com" <nmflyer1 at aol.com>
                  To:                  reflector at tvbf.org 
                  Sent:                  Friday, December 30, 2011 12:07 PM
                  Subject:                  Re: REFLECTOR: Ailerons
                
                
My old bird didn't have them (U-joints) in                    the plans either. I remember somewhere (either on                    the reflector or in Velocity Views) folks talking                    about adding the U-joint. From memory, I remember                    this being for ease of installation more than                    anything else. I built mine per the old plans with                    no joint. The tube runs all the way to the wing                    root.                     

                    
                    
I have not measured it, but I find it hard to                      believe that any possible twist in the aluminum                      torque tubes would be any more than the tiny                      amount of slop that is in most U-joints. Perhaps                      the ones used are better than any I have ever                      seen. 
                    

                    
                    
Out to the hangar for a while for more finish                      sanding. 
                    

                    
                    
Kurt 
                      
                      
                      
-----Original                        Message-----
                        From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
                        To: Brett Ferrell                        <reflector at velocityxl.com>; Velocity                        Aircraft Owners and Builders list                        <reflector at tvbf.org>
                        Sent: Fri, Dec 30, 2011 2:32 am
                        Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ailerons
                        
                        
Interesting,                          I just checked my plans, and it does not show                          a u joint. That means Tom Wright the builder                          added them. This was his 4th V I believe.
                          
                          Brett Ferrell <reflector at velocityxl.com>                          wrote:
                          
                          
Doug,
                          

                          
                          
Where does it show that joint, at the                            wing root end (or at the aileron)?
                          

                          
                          
Brett
                          
                          

                          
                          
                            
On Thu, Dec 29, 2011, at 10:53 PM,                              Douglas Holub wrote:
                            
> My 1987 plans                                have u-joints on the ailerons. Are you                                talking about two u-joints for each                                aileron?
                          
                        
                        
                          
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

                        
                      
                    
                  
                
                _______________________________________________
                To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
                
                Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
                user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
                Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
                Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
                
              
            
          
        
      
      


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    
    
    
-- 
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers
  
 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111230/4f806f27/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list