REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 18 18:27:39 CST 2011


Scott,

My SE/RG slow build kit came with EZ Poxy resin and hardener to make 15 gal. total which weighs 136.8 #.  I still have about a Quart of resin left over.  I'd need another 10 gal. to add 100#.  Doesn't sound right to me.

Larry Coen
N136LC


From: Scott Derrick 
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 2:28 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw


Al,

that sounds about right for a plush well equipped V. 

I was talking to a buddy this morning who has literally built 10 airplanes, a few fiberglass(VeriEZ, LongEZ, GlassStar) and he said he never made it within 75 lbs of the factory listed weight. Even when really really trying. For fiberglass planes  he thought that most people just build to wet, its almost impossible to get a truly perfect glass/epoxy balance without using vacuum and weighing the glass and epoxy prior to layups.  And with a plane the size of the V, its really easy to add 75-125 lbs of epoxy to the plane. And not difficult to add even more. He hails form Kurt's airport and Kurt will vouch that this guy is the consumate builder.  He's finishing an RV12 right now.

Scott


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw
From: Al Gietzen <alventures at cox.net>
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 12/18/2011 11:32 AM

  Scott;



  I weighed the engine and its ancillaries (radiators and coolant, etc), and on a comparable basis (without alternator, starter, etc) to the published weight of an IO360 - results: 382 lbs vs 348 lbs.  My all-up engine installation (based on weighing all the pieces and parts that went into it) was about 430# (not including prop and prop extension.)



  My aircraft empty weight (SE RG), ready for first flight, with plush upholstery, sound deadening; paint etc., was 1495#.  That was about 100 lbs heavier than the weight I had expected, having weighed all the pieces and parts that went into itJ. Things like wiring, lines, hoses, some brackets, etc. were estimates; but I never really knew what made up that 100 lb difference.



  Al







  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Scott Derrick
  Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:44 AM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw



  So Al, what does your plane weigh and how did you figure your engine weight?

  Scott





_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-- 
I would no more quarrel with a man because of his religion than I would because of his art.
Mary Baker Eddy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111218/35a1c450/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list