REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Sun Dec 18 11:26:45 CST 2011


On an otherwise clean, straight flying Velocity - centered ball, no roll
with centered ailerons- I would bet on a high AOA on the winglets- even a
couple of degrees would create a significant drag increase- and as long as
they are equal, you would never notice except for the airspeed. I suppose
temporarily reflexing the rudders could be used to check this..

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Karl J. Warner
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:47 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw

 

Chris/Kevin,

 

Don't fret to much... seams the factory does not meet their own numbers all
the time.  My V was factory built:  It's a short wing SE/FG with 200 hp
IO-360 & MT prop.  I don't have the book in front of me but I'm thinking
1450 empty since I have approx. 950 useful @ 2400 gross.  These are the
original factory's numbers, I have not weighed since owning, but I'd venture
to say even these numbers are likely light and may have been done prior to
paint, wheel pants, interior, sound proofing (which I ripped out) etc..  

 

Speed: I flight plan for 150kt LOP or 155 ROP.  I've asked the factory about
winglet "toe in" as I wondered if that was one of the biggest speed factors.
Their response was that it is important but that there is no single smoking
gun about why one airplane is so much faster or slower then another.

 

I've also flown factory built SUV/FG 101VA with io320:  I don't remember its
empty weight but will comment that the real world specs/speed on these 2
factory built airplanes were, shall we say, disappointing.  

 

To be fair, seems composites lend themselves to builder variances more then
aluminum and rivets (and even more to the point, Scott's advise that each
builder "add on" are the real culprit to weight).  However, there's a lot to
love about our V's:  no airframe corrosion, looks great, strong, looks
great, smooth, predictable slow speed "base to final" handling, easy to
maintain, efficient, simple systems,... did I mention they look great! 

 

Karl

 

On Dec 18, 2011, at 2:17 AM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:





Yeah I posed that question earlier but didn't get an answer as to the 1300
lbs being with a 320 or 360. 

Sent from my iPhone 4


On Dec 17, 2011, at 9:17 PM, "Kevin Baker" <flykb at verizon.net> wrote:

One thing to think about is the 1300# number.

One question would be to folks flying std io360 .. What are their actual
weights.

I would assume you would find most over the factory number by some amount

 

Thanks

Kevin 

.

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111218/a9bf3709/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list