REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw

Scott Durham bsdurham at charter.net
Sun Dec 18 09:39:50 CST 2011


Hiroo Umeno said his suv came in at 1500 lbs, no ac or second door and a franklin engine

http://www.velocityaircraft.com/newsV5/hiroo.html
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Scott Derrick 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:37 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw


  Every additional system adds up. The AC probably weighs more, wires, supports, switches, hardware, all those little things add more and more weight. Your Turbo rotary probably weighs 150-200 lbs more than a stock 360. Radio's, and all the wires, and supporting hardware can add an amazing amount of weight. So can a nice interior. All of the "light" planes that I have seen had minimum panel, minimum interior, no extras, light paint job(paint can be heavy), stock engine install, and were built with making it light in mind. 

  I think your engine install is probably the heaviest change you made, I say that because of the numbers you posted. Seems like your nose weight is a bit on the light side? Is your CG in the proper range? With 200 lbs in the front seat can you fly without any additional forward ballest? 

  I agree that the weight is OK. Motor on. You'll use a bit more runway, but you have alot more HP right? No problem. I have noticed that weight doesn't slow me down by much, maybe 5 knots between lightest and gross. 

  If you end up having to take the engine off the firewall for some reason, it happens, while its off weight the whole thing. Radiators, mount, everything. Give you a feel for what's hanging out back.

  Chris Barber <cbarber at texasattorney.net> wrote:


  I believe the entire A/C system is just over 40lbs. The turbo is right at 30lbs and replaces a muffler. 


  The PSRU is 40 but is included when comparing a rotary to a lyc 360. Radiator is not. I do have a duel electrical system; two alternators, one is 7lbs and the other is 13lbs iirc. Two batteries up front. All via Bob Knuckles Z-14 plans. 


  I expected it to be heavier than 1300 but not by this much. I mean 350lbs...really...REALLY!

  Sent from my iPhone 4

  On Dec 17, 2011, at 6:07 PM, "Alex Balic" <velocity_pilot at verizon.net> wrote:


    How much does the aircon system weigh?



    From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Chris Barber
    Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:47 PM
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
    Cc: reflector at tvbf.org
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw



    Nope. No soundproofing. 

    Sent from my iPhone 4


    On Dec 17, 2011, at 5:45 PM, "Andrew Judge" <ajudge at grovenetworks.com> wrote:

      Did you install the sounds proofing? If so, rip it out. It's heavy. 




--------------------------------------------------------------------------

      From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org <reflector-bounces at tvbf.org> 
      To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org> 
      Cc: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org> 
      Sent: Sat Dec 17 18:25:24 2011
      Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw 

      I am not sure of last calibration as the are borrowed. I did zero them out and weighed more than once.



      Ok. Here is my raw number. 1645 lbs. Hell. That's a whole nuther engine. 



      Right rear = 799

      Left rear = 798

      Front = 48



      I am beside myself, but plugging on. Just filled the sump with four gallons to fill.



      I am consciously rethinking every step over the last 9.5 years and at a loss. 100, 150 lbs maybe, but 350!!!!!!??????!!!!!  I wouldn't had believed I could be thi friggin incompetent. 



      Oh, fyi, this is a fixed gear. 

      Sent from my iPhone 4


      On Dec 17, 2011, at 5:13 PM, "Kevin Baker" <flykb at verizon.net> wrote:

        We used a similar set

        Did you zero them out before putting the plane on?

        When we're they last calibrated?



        Do you weight it more than one time ?



        Thanks

        Kevin 


        .


        On Dec 17, 2011, at 16:48, Chris Barber <cbarber at texasattorney.net> wrote:

          Proform electronic scales. P/N 67650. There are four heavy metal platforms with cable to a CPU with LCD display. Gives a nice read out of lbs or k and % of weight on each scale and a total of all four. The unused platform reads 0. When I stand on the forth scale it gives my individual weight (cuz I wasn't already discouraged enough) and ads that to the total of all four. 

          Seriously, we are not talking just a bit high. It is a lot. When the emotional impact subsides I am sure I will post it. No, I did not leave a dead body in the streaked and yes, the fuel is drained. 



          Chris
          Sent from my iPhone 4


          On Dec 17, 2011, at 4:39 PM, "steve korney" <s_korney at hotmail.com> wrote:

            What kind of scales .....?


            Steve 

            > From: cbarber at texasattorney.net
            > To: reflector at tvbf.org
            > CC: reflector at tvbf.org
            > Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 22:30:43 +0000
            > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw
            > 
            > Yeah, I do but not enough to explain this difference. 
            > 
            > Sent from my iPhone 4
            > 
            > On Dec 17, 2011, at 4:10 PM, "Mike Dawson" <medawson250 at yahoo.com> wrote:
            > 
            > > You probably have a radiator, water and cooling fan, not to mention, perhaps a load of avionics?
            > > Just a thought.
            > > 
            > > Michael E Dawson
            > > ATCI CFII
            > > 
            > > 
            > > On Dec 17, 2011, at 1:55 PM, Chris Barber <cbarber at texasattorney.net> wrote:
            > > 
            > >> Is the factory empty weight on the SE with a 320 or a 360? I just weighed my project and I may have the heaviest ever built :-(. So much I am currently embarrassed to post my numbers. I am using a rotary which is supposed to be comparable to a 360. I also have a turbo and A/C which easily explains part of the weight above the standard 1300 lbs but not by any means all. Yikes. 
            > >> 
            > >> Chris 
            > >> 
            > >> Sent from my iPhone 4
            > >> 
            > >> On Dec 14, 2011, at 9:25 PM, "Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com> wrote:
            > >> 
            > >>> SERG Franklin/IVO with paint and interior.
            > >>> Empty Weight = 1391 lbs
            > >>> CG = 126.9
            > >>> 
            > >>> Larry Coen
            > >>> N136LC
            > >>> 
            > >>> --------------------------------------------------
            > >>> From: "Kevin Baker" <flykb at verizon.net>
            > >>> Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:00 PM
            > >>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
            > >>> Cc: <reflector at tvbf.org>
            > >>> Subject: REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw
            > >>> 
            > >>>> Hi all,
            > >>>> I was wondering what others are seeing as far as for a Velocity 173/LW Elite FG io-360 catto
            > >>>> Empty weight and empty cg
            > >>>> 
            > >>>> Wanted to compare to mine as I just recently did a w&b and cg check.
            > >>>> 
            > >>>> Thanks
            > >>>> Kevin Baker
            > >>>> N164PS
            > >>>> _______________________________________________
            > >>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
            > >>>> 
            > >>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
            > >>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
            > >>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
            > >>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
            > >>> _______________________________________________
            > >>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
            > >>> 
            > >>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
            > >>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
            > >>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
            > >>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
            > >> _______________________________________________
            > >> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
            > >> 
            > >> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
            > >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
            > >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
            > >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
            > > _______________________________________________
            > > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
            > > 
            > > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
            > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
            > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
            > > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
            > _______________________________________________
            > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
            > 
            > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
            > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
            > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
            > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

            _______________________________________________
            To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

            Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
            user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
            Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
            Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

          _______________________________________________
          To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

          Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
          user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
          Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
          Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

        _______________________________________________
        To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

        Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
        user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
        Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
        Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

      _______________________________________________
      To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

      Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
      user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
      Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
      Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111218/d794698d/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list