REFLECTOR: N444DX first flights

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Fri Dec 9 07:10:09 CST 2011


As reported last week, N444 DX left the ground, but with aileron problems.
Thanks to all who responded and Scott at Headquarters; I made 4 changes and
the 2nd flight went much better than the first.  Changes: 1) rig with
trailing edge down about 1/4", 2) gap seal with tape on the top srface, 3)
round lower leading edge of ailerons, 4) relieve the interference between
the screw heads that hold the bearing in and the control arm in the engine
compartment.  Frankly, of all the systems on this aircraft, I least like the
aileron design (speaking as a product design engineer).  I was concerned
about the friction and flexibility  in the push rod system since I first
installed it two years ago.  That said, the system works much better now.

Second flight was about 1/2 hour and all went well.  The engine temps were
all where they should be.  This is good since I built the engine from a
basket case purchased from the Jack Hayes estate over the Reflector.  No
wheel shimmy and the brakes don't seem to be overheating.  Dynon working
fine.  

Only current issue is that my test pilot finds the ailerons too sensitive.
He was only putting in very small roll commands.  This was at 130kts.   He
has flown one other Velocity, owned a VarEZ for 5 years and has flow over
300 different types of aircraft. So, I believe his feedback.   We have
pulled off 1/4 of the gap seal in hopes this desensitizes them a little
(Rule 1: only make small changes now) for the next flight.  

Any other thoughts??

David Ullman
N-444DX Velocity 
EAA 292 President
david at davidullman.com
541-754-3609

************



More information about the Reflector mailing list