REFLECTOR: air supply for engine

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 09:34:16 CST 2011


Kevin,

Thanks for putting up this query - I was just about to ask for input on
this as well.  The cooling plenum that came with the engine I bought (from
another Velocity owner) had a 2 1/2" duct off the CP side plenum right
where the runner from the NACA duct connects into the main plenum.  Like
other's I've seen with this configuration, the 2 1/2" duct is shooting off
normal to the airflow which, I would think, is not optimal and would create
a low-pressure region in front of this duct.  I just cut intake duct off
and was going to graft in a duct on the CP runner from the NACA duct that
offered a smoother transition into the intake duct.

I recently had a Velocity owner come by to have a look at my project and he
indicated that he had an armpit scoop that should offer better ram
induction and suggested I do the same.  I'd be interested to hear other
opinions on this.  Is a separate ram induction scoop better?  Should you
see a HP boost using a ram scoop, or does it just dirty the airflow going
into the prop.  The manual seems to indicate that just connecting an intake
duct to the cooling plenum is fine.

Geoff

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi all
> Where are folks piping air for the engine induction from?
> Mine currently come from the top nacas  and I was a little worried about
> rain/water draining down into the engine.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111208/1e099ef1/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list