REFLECTOR: Damper
Douglas Holub
douglas.holub at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 09:06:06 CDT 2011
Before I started flying I installed a locking pin a la Mishler on my Cozy nose wheel just in case there were any shimmy problems. My design wouldn't let the nose wheel rotate 360 degrees, and it was a nuisance moving the plane. It sounds like this damper is a good idea, but I'm sure you'll want to make a tow bar and find a place for it in the plane for traveling.
I never got around to making a tow bar, and then after I started flying I've never had a hint of a shimmy. My pre-flight does include checking the nose wheel for tightness. (If it is not hard to move with my foot it is too loose), but maybe the more flexible fiberglass strut has something to do with it, too.
I removed the locking pin this year, and I love having a full castering nose wheel again. I hope I'm not putting a damper on this promising damper idea.
Doug Holub
Standard FG with electric nose lift.
----- Original Message -----
From: Andy Millin
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Damper
Not shown in the picture was the steering limiter. If you look at the Damper 3 picture, you'll see the studs sticking out of the top of the gear fork. They are AN-4 bolts that have the heads cut off. There is a pawl mounted on the king pin. The pawl hits the stops before it hits the limits on the damper.
So, yes, we will need to have some type of steering/tow bar. This is the same arrangement that you have on just about all production aircraft.
I would ask John to comment on what it was like to push the plane around with the damper on it.
I know this solution is not for everyone. I feel what I am gaining is worth more than what I am giving up.
You may feel differently.
Andy
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of John Dibble
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 8:58 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Damper
Andy Millin wrote:
Items of Note:
The damper is hydraulic. It is an arm that sweeps inside of a pie shaped chamber. There is enough range to do a single wheel locked turn. It will not spin 360 degrees.
So, pushing the plane backwards won't be easy?
John
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110829/dc8b1806/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list