REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 77, Dump Valve fix
Mark Riley
the_rileys1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 27 20:18:37 CDT 2011
I had exactly the same problem with my dump valve while I was at the Velocity Builder Assistance center. Scott Swing came up with a fast and permanent fix.
The threads into the dump valve are very short- as in they don't thread very far into the casting. Scott ground off the bottom of a tap, then we ran the threads in further into the casting. A little black Permatex for assembly and the valve has been leak free ever since.
Mark
On Aug 27, 2011, at 5:13 PM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:
> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
> reflector at tvbf.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> reflector-request at tvbf.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> reflector-owner at tvbf.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Dump valve - alternatives (Peter Braswell)
> 2. Re: Damper (Shimmy Damper) (Scott Derrick)
> 3. Re: In ear headsets (Ruben Creus)
> 4. Tape on windows (John Overman)
> 5. Re: Damper (WJ Wibeck)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:36:23 -0400
> From: Peter Braswell <peter.braswell at gmail.com>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Dump valve - alternatives
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID:
> <CAP6bQxGS4oFM0SizSg=qELfMFPer=P2NXHVa5VYzgS-=DrbURA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> All,
> I've been working on my RG system and I've got a small drip steadily coming
> out of my kit supplied dump valve. I've got a reducer installed in the dump
> valve to bring it down to the NPT hydraulic fitting. It's hard to tell, but
> that's where it looks like it's leaking. It only leaks when the gear is in
> the up position. It's not cross threaded and I've tried putting a little
> lube seal on the threads with no luck.
>
> Two questions: Has anybody else had this type of leak and how have you
> fixed it?
>
> The other question I had was replacements. I was looking at the andair fuel
> valve. I like it because it has a detent in in it and they are very well
> made. I had one in my glastar. It seems to me that it would be perfect as
> a replacement but as it's technically made for fuel (relatively low
> pressure) I'm not sure if the 1000+ psi of the hydraulic system would turn
> it into a time bomb which I certainly don't want. Any thoughts?
>
> Peter
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*
> *Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110827/7799b9b4/attachment-0001.htm>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 12:51:26 -0600
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Damper (Shimmy Damper)
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <4E593CAE.6060507 at tnstaafl.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> somewhat, thanks Larry.
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Damper (Shimmy Damper)
> From: Laurence Coen <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 08/27/2011 10:33 AM
>
>> Scott,
>>
>> The RG fork is a modification of the FG fork. The FG fork has the gear
>> leg hole drilled front to back instead of top to bottom on your RG fork.
>> It's the same fork but it mounts horizontally instead of vertically.
>> That configuration won't fit in the nose and was modified for the RG
>> models. The damper sits below the gear leg nut which works for the FG
>> but would hit the tire on an RG set-up.
>>
>> Clear?
>>
>> Larry Coen
>> N136LC
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------
>> From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
>> Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:39 AM
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Damper (Shimmy Damper)
>>
>>> Hmmm.....
>>>
>>> I don't get it? that doesn't look like the fork I have on my RG? That
>>> doesn't look like any nose gear fork I've seen?
>>>
>>> Scott
>>>
>>> -------- Original Message --------
>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Damper (Shimmy Damper)
>>> From: John Tvedte <johnt at comp-sol.com>
>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>> Date: 08/26/2011 04:42 PM
>>>
>>>> Some pictures I took during OSH.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.
>>> Eckhart Tolle
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
> --
> He who knows others is wise;
> He who know himself is enlightened.
> Lao-tzu
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:09:23 -0400
> From: "Ruben Creus" <ruben at vainneg.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: In ear headsets
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <244B6FB3304F4F98AAB8165DA4AB326B at travelmate8000>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I have a LightSpeed Match 1 with custom ear plugs. So far my favorite for
> cross country. You really forget you have headsets on, they are very
> comfortable. The only thing is that they are not as quiet as noise
> cancelation ones, but it is quiet enough.
>
> Since I started using the Match 1 I did not go back to my noise cancelation
> ones, so I guess, I am ok with some noise in exchange for a total comfort.
>
> Ruben
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mark Riley [mailto:the_rileys1 at verizon.net]
> Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 12:11 PM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: In ear headsets
>
>
> Does anyone have experience with in ear headsets? I tried on a Clarity Aloft
> set at Oshkosh and was impressed. I was thinking of getting them for my wife
> and kids.
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 9, 2011, at 10:52 AM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:
>
>> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
>> reflector at tvbf.org
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>> reflector-request at tvbf.org
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>> reflector-owner at tvbf.org
>>
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
>>
>>
>> Today's Topics:
>>
>> 1. Re: N104DD First Flight (Bellsouth Home)
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 09:48:53 -0500
>> From: Bellsouth Home <dugasd at bellsouth.net>
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: N104DD First Flight
>> To: Mike Dawson <medawson250 at yahoo.com>, Velocity Aircraft Owners and
>> Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Message-ID: <97471716-F22B-410F-AEDE-2EE89DBFB592 at bellsouth.net>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>>
>> Congratulation!!!!!!
>> Years of work and a thrilling day. Those who have done it loved it and
> those who will do it can't wait.
>> Flying 550+ hrs
>>
>> Sent from Rene's iPad.
>>
>>
>> On Aug 8, 2011, at 8:26 PM, Mike Dawson <medawson250 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A couple of videos on You Tube. If you want to put them on the Wiki, it
> might be a good lesson on how not to land. I've done better!
>>> N104DD First Flight complete. A very thrilling and intense day. All worth
> it.
>>> Thanks to my wife Kathy for hanging on to the dream with me!
>>> Mike Dawson
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVcGvE69pDA&feature=related
>>> First Takeoff
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ix8D36N5Jk
>>> First landing
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL:
> <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110809/37f6c4d6
> /attachment.htm>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>
>> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 77, Issue 49
>> *****************************************
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: John Overman <mooneydryver at yahoo.com>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Tape on windows
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID:
> <1314476833.48091.YahooMailClassic at web111514.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Several years back, I bought a Velocity kit someone else had started. The windows were completely covered with overlapping 2" tape. It looks like an inexpensive vinyl with a light waffle weave pattern. This tape has been on the plexiglass for 10 years now and when you remove it (believe it or not it still peels off), it leaves no residue. Over the years I've done a lot of damage to this tape and have been looking for the same to replace it. No luck.
> A tape that leaves no residue is a big deal to most homebuilders. The other day I had an epiphany. Gaffer's tape. It is used for everything in the movie industry. It has a reputation for sticking to anything but also being easy to remove. I ordered some from amazon $12.00 for a 2" x 30ft roll. It came today and I have been playing with it sticking it to different surfaces and removing it. I think it may do the job. Of course it will have to be on the windows for a year or so to be sure, but so far, it's better than anything I have tried.
>
> Just something to consider
>
> John Overman
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110827/4259f7b2/attachment-0001.htm>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:48:39 -0500
> From: "WJ Wibeck" <wjwilbeck at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Damper
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <00b401cc64fa$b4d03f90$1e70beb0$@com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hello John,
>
>
>
> Sure - send me one.
>
>
>
> When do you expect it to be available?
>
>
>
> Wj
>
>
>
> PS: Any other enhancements in the works?
>
>
>
> WJ Wilbeck
>
>
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of John Abraham
> Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 12:58 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Damper
>
>
>
> All,
>
>
>
> We are ready to start sending out Damper units for FG models, RG to follow.
> If you are interested in ordering one send me an email for more details. If
> you were by the booth at Oshkosh you may have seen what I am talking about.
> Estimated cost is $500 for the system. This can vary with how many people I
> have that want them as I have to order the damper systems and the price is
> driven by quantity.
>
>
>
> Best,
>
>
>
>
>
> John Abraham
>
> Chief Pilot; Executive V.P. Sales and Marketing
>
>
>
> velocity-logo
>
> P: (772) 589-1860 200 W. Airport Dr.
>
> F: (772) 589-1893 Sebastian, FL
> 32958
>
> www.velocityaircraft.com
>
>
>
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110827/00e9ad03/attachment.htm>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: image/png
> Size: 18081 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110827/00e9ad03/attachment.png>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 77, Issue 100
> ******************************************
More information about the Reflector
mailing list