REFLECTOR: Hot Start Techniques IO-550N
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Aug 21 08:19:44 CDT 2011
Bob,
While not what I call really hot starts, I had 5 warm starts yesterday
and all started right up with your simple procedure. I as resetting my
idle pump pressure/idle mixture/idle speed settings which requires
multiple adjustments(engine off) and multiple tests(engine on), all done
after the engine has warmed up.
Hopefully today I'll be test flying my last fixes and have the
opportunity to test it against a quick turn hot engine start!
So far much simpler and when it starts its runs smoother almost
immediately, vs the prime method, where it coughs and pops for quite a
while before smoothing out. nice.
Scott
-------- Original Message --------
From: William Walker <blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net>
> Ignore all the three-handed, stupid human tricks attempts to start. I recently learned this from a Beech Baron/Colemill conversion hanger-mate. It has worked on three successive hot-starts where other methods have proven ineffective.
>
> HOT START PROCEDURE:
>
> NO ATTEMPTS at clearing vapor-locked engine with any fuel pump/mixture settings or run times. Boost pump off.
>
> All engine controls firewalled: Throttle, Prop, Mixture
>
> BE READY ON THROTTLE TO RETARD UPON ENGINE COUGH/ATTEMPTED START!!!
>
> Engage starter, wait for coughing or rich-sounding attempted start - smoothly retard throttle toward idle as engine catches.
>
> TAXI HAPPILY AWAY!!!
>
>
> Bill Walker
> N36LV
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
--
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience
of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired,
and success achieved.
Helen Keller
More information about the Reflector
mailing list