REFLECTOR: Primer Nozzles

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 12:14:23 CDT 2011


John I have the Franklin fuel injector rails on the lower side of both
intake manifolds. (six injectors)
They both connect to a solenoid then to the electric fuel pump. Pre start is
fuel pump on, press prime
for 3 seconds (turns on the solenoid) fuel pump off then start. works like a
charm. I only have to prime
on the first start of the day, after stops for an hour or more, it will fire
right up without priming.



On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM, <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> Larry,
>
> Yeah, I'm also thinking that a little fuel could be drawn in.  I think it
> won't be significant, but even if it is, the worst case is that I have to
> wait 10 minutes to start.  What I like about it is eliminating the guesswork
> about how much to prime.
>
> John
>
> --- lwcoen at hotmail.com wrote:
>
> From: "Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Primer Nozzles
> Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:51:57 -0500
>
> John,
>
> Your new arraignment sounds like what I did.  Attaching the primer solenoid
> to the starter power may have unintended consequences.  Even with the aux
> pump off the open solenoid valve will still allow fuel to be drawn in due to
> the negative pressure in the manifold.  I guess I'm just a "Nervous Nellie"
> when it comes to making things automatic.
>
> Larry Coen
> N136LC
>
>  *From:* aminetech at bluefrog.com
> *Sent:* Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:50 AM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Primer Nozzles
>
>  I had plain elbow fittings instead of nozzles and decided to convert to
> nozzles.  I'm amazed how tiny the opening is on the nozzle (# 76 drill
> size).  The tubing side connection is fine thread which can't be used
> with the coarse thread compression fittings on my tubing lines, so I made
> nozzles from the plain elbow fittings by inserting a piece of brass sheet
> metal held in place with structural adhesive and drilling a # 76 hole.  I
> also moved the fittings from the 1 and 2 cylinders to the middle ones.
> Before installing, I connected to the fuel lines and had someone press the
> primer button.  I was expecting to see a spray, but it was a mostly coherent
> stream of greater volume than I expected from such a tiny hole.  It shot up
> about 6 inches which means fuel is getting right at the back side of the
> intake valve.  The engine fired the instant I engaged the starter.  I'm
> thinking of making the priming automatic by powering the primer solenoid
> from the starter + terminal.  The only time I don't need priming is when the
> engine has been off for less than 10 minutes and I think I can "turn off"
> the primer by simply not turning on the electric fuel pump.
>
> John
>  ------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html_______________________________________________ To change your email
> address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the
> gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new
> archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



-- 
Mike W.
1997 Velocity Elite RG
Franklin /IVO Electric CS
Dual GRT EFIS HX Synthetic Vision
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110820/dbb09308/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list