REFLECTOR: SkyView folks ... More ADAHRS placement problems

Darrell & Nora Kufalk kufalk at wi.rr.com
Sun Aug 14 22:47:15 CDT 2011


I have been flying with my new SkyView for 7 weeks now.  My biggest concern
with the SkyView system was the fact that the magnetometer was inside the
ADAHRS and its placement could be a problem in a Velocity.  I found out
today my concern was justified.  After a few flights, I noticed the magnetic
heading was a little off compared to the GPS ground track when heading in
certain directions.  I double checked it on the ground and all seemed fine.
Then I made a test flight in a big square box.  Heading north I recorded the
difference between magnetic heading and GPS ground track and did the same
thing for east, south and west.  I was shocked it was off by 30 degrees
going north and south.  I landed and checked it on the ground and it all
seemed correct again.  It worked on the ground but not in flight !?!?

 

I had a hunch what the problem was, so today I put it up on jacks and ran
the gear up and down.  Sure enough, the main gear cylinder causes the
heading to move 31 degrees while facing south.  I have my ADAHRS mounted
under the rear seat.  I measured the distance to the main gear cylinder and
it is only about 9 inches away.  That thing must have a huge amount of
residual magnetism left in it.  Needless to say I'm looking for a new
location for that thing.

 

Word of caution to other builders.  Under the rear seat does NOT work in RG
models.

 

Darrell

 

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Peter Braswell
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 2:13 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: SkyView folks ...

 

I just did a blog entry on the importance of proper calibration of you
SkyView system.  I know there was some discussion regarding where to put the
ADAHRS unit, this explains one of the reasons why it's important ...

 

http://blog.sky-gadgets.com/2011/08/dynon-skyview-why-its-important-to-get-y
our-compass-calibrated/

 

Peter


--------------------------------------------------------------
Check out:

"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com

Selling your Airplane? : www.fly-mart.com

Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com
My blog: www.icekreamkoan.com
--------------------------------------------------------------

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110814/7eb7dddf/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list