REFLECTOR: Mag cooling

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 10 16:10:18 CDT 2011


I realize that my V-6 install is quite a bit different than most Velocities. However, I added a cooling line for my alternator and believe it could be used for mags as well. 

I put a 1/2" aluminum tube into the plenum behind my right NACA scoop on top. That aluminum tube supplies cooling air. My thought was that the relatively high velocity of the air would be sufficient to supply cool air to an area on the forward side of my engine. 

As a note, I did install the tube up at the top of the plenum in an effort to cut down on possible water intake. There is also a drain in the lowest corner of the plenum. 

Sure seemed simple and like a good idea. We shall see if it works :) 

 Kurt 






-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wed, Aug 10, 2011 1:06 pm
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Mag cooling


the T210 I fly have a small duct from the high pressure side of the plenum pointing at the mags and fuel pump.  My Bonanza had those also. Its like 3/4"  flex duct.

Something on my list to do.  

Somethings just run better and longer if they don;t get too hot!

Scott

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Mag cooling
From: slvegl99 at aol.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: 08/10/2011 12:48 PM

I have an XL FG with IO540 and the mag got so hot that it required rebuild. I have considered adding a heat shield but have not figured out how.
 
Bob Wood





-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Coen <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wed, Aug 10, 2011 2:33 pm
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Mag cooling


David,
The air from my armpit scoops is directed, via plenum, to cool the cylinders 
nd nothing else.  I have a Franklin with the alternator, mags and fuel pump 
n the accessory case.  I enlarged my belly scoop to provide cooling air to 
his area.  No problems so far.
Larry Coen
136LC
--------------------------------------------------
rom: "David Ullman" <ullman at robustdecisions.com>
ent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 11:00 PM
o: <reflector at tvbf.org>
ubject: Re: REFLECTOR: Mag cooling
> My Tech Advisor asked me to ask if anyone directs cooling air on to the
 magnetos?  I have two of them on the back of my IO-360-C1C and they
 currently get no air circulating over them at all.  Seems easy enough to
 bleed some off the ducts bringing air into the plenum. Is magneto heating 
 a
 problem for anyone?

 David G. Ullman PhD ME
 Robust Decisions
 ullman at robustdecisions.com
 541-754-3609

 _______________________________________________
 To change your email address, visit 
 http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

 Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
 user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
 Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
 Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 
______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


-- 
in makes its own hell, and goodness its own heaven.
ary Baker Eddy

_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110810/446684ed/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list