REFLECTOR: Also a new Velocity Owner
Jones Nick
nick.jones at volvo.com
Thu Aug 4 15:28:25 CDT 2011
We have the same situation at the RIC FSDO. We have had 8 different homebuilts in our EAA chapter inspected, one by the FSDO and the others by a DAR. It seems to depend on the mood of the day. The inspection the FSDO did was only two weeks after the paperwork was submitted but the others were told there was several months of wait.
Nick and Connie Jones
Velocity XL-RG
N10CN
99% done 90% to go
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 3:54 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Also a new Velocity Owner
I heard we lost Bob Radke at the ABQ FSDO. Too bad, he was a really good guy. I had him re-issue the new(at the time) more lenient OL about 5 years ago.
A buddy at GNT had his new experimental inspected early this year, and he used a DAR. He said the FSDO didn't sound to helpful.
Scott
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Also a new Velocity Owner
From: nmflyer1 at aol.com<mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com>
To: VelocityXL at fastmail.fm<mailto:VelocityXL at fastmail.fm>, reflector at tvbf.org<mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 08/04/2011 01:40 PM
Ron,
Bering an FAA employee, I can answer the question... although it is not an acceptable reason.
Many local FSDO offices adopt their own general practices. Yes, FAA inspections of home builts is part of their job, but many put it at the bottom of the list. Could be staffing, workload, or even preference of priorities.
We had a local FSDO guy that was fantastic. He really liked going out and inspecting and issuing for us "experimentalists".... but he was a pilot & a builder.. Just what we would all want. When he left the office for a promotion, everything changed. Unfortunately for us all, a call to your local FSDO will let you know the frame of mind, delay time, and expectations of what you will have to deal with.
One other thing... If there is more than one FSDO that covers your area (some overlap boundries a bit) you can always make a call to another FSDO and ask them. Sometimes you may get a different answer.
Kurt
-----Original Message-----
From: Velocity <VelocityXL at fastmail.fm><mailto:VelocityXL at fastmail.fm>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org><mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thu, Aug 4, 2011 9:11 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Also a new Velocity Owner
I just spoke to the FAA examiner who is coming out to check my plane in two weeks . The faa Shut down does not effect his job I was told.
Why are builders using a Dar instead of a FAA examiner. FAA is already paid for through your taxes.
Ron
----- Original Message -----
From: Dennis Martin<mailto:dennis.doc at gmail.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list<mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Also a new Velocity Owner
The DAR I'm working with is referred by the Salt Lake City EAA Chapter 23. His fee is $400. I also pay the SLC chapter an extra $50 for a pre-inspection. They have a team of two guys who come down to Provo and make sure I'm ready for the DAR. I didn't try the FAA - last time I asked the FAA guy he told me I'd have to get in line for 2-3 months.
Dennis
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Erik Franks <efranks at frugalmedia.com<mailto:efranks at frugalmedia.com>> wrote:
How much are DARs asking these days for airworthiness inspection? I wonder if the FAA furlough is stopping their inspections?
-Erik Franks
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Dennis Martin <dennis.doc at gmail.com<mailto:dennis.doc at gmail.com>> wrote:
I've scheduled my DAR inspection for end of August, so dreams do come true. I look forward to your web site and progress reports, Patrick. The reflector is a great resource, so don't hesitate to use it freely. Where are you located?
Dennis
Provo, UT
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Patrick Sieders <pjsieders at comcast.net<mailto:pjsieders at comcast.net>> wrote:
Hello Reflector readers,
My name is Patrick and I have taken the task to finish a XL5-FG project, started by Tom Tolton. The plane arrived to my house a few weeks ago and now I am studying his work, reading and matching pictures he sent me and planning for the future. Since the airplane is mostly a shell by now, I get to do all the interior, instruments, engine etc. I am sure my skills as an airplane mechanic will come in handy, although it’s been a while since I turned wrenches L I am sure it will come back to me quick.
I am in the process of making my website, it’s running and some pictures are available, but more is to come once I have time. Talking about time, I am planning to really this project in about two years, when I have saved more money again for the big stuff, and it coincides with my youngest to start Kindergarten. That will give me 3 days a week (I mostly work/fly the weekend) to be down in the garage and tinker around. I will be joining your conversations online already and listen and observe.
Patrick & Dana Sieders
Http://www.sieders.com/sieders
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
All the best,
Dennis
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
All the best,
Dennis
________________________________
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
It is with our passions, as it is with fire and water, they are good servants but bad masters.
Aesop
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110804/1e9f4c78/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list