REFLECTOR: air in break line

Barry Gibbons gibbons at as.net
Mon Apr 18 11:32:01 CDT 2011


How did you bench bleed the Caliper?

Barry

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2011 8:38 AM
To: Jim_Agnew_2 at yahoo.com; reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air in break line

 

Right again Jim, 

 

I "bench Bled" my calipers Before I installed them. 

 

I also gravity filled the lines before I hooked up the calipers.

 

Then I hooked up the brake line to the calipers and bled from the bottom up
(with the for-mentioned oil can trick). 

 

Now, I have a different style of master cylinders, but I accomplished the
whole thing in about an hour. Seems fine now.

 

Kurt 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Agnew <jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, Apr 18, 2011 9:12 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air in break line

Before you go nuts trying to bleed the brakes take a look at the attached
diagram for Matco brakes.  You will notice that the connections between the
pistons are not in a straight line and require you to fill from the bottom
piston up while adjusting the caliper position to allow the air trapped in
the piston to escape up.  Note the pistons are hollow so the process of
keeping the connections vertical also requires rocking the caliper side to
side at the same time.

 

Jim
 

James F. Agnew

 <mailto:Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com> Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com

Tampa, FL

Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying

 

 

  _____  

From: Jerry Brainard < <mailto:Jerry at jlbent.com> Jerry at jlbent.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list < <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, April 18, 2011 9:49:44 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air in break line

Just to be complete, did you use the little tubing inserts for the brake
line fittings?  They go into the line to strengthen the tube under the
clamping force of the brass ferrule.

 

Do you have a parking brake?  We were never able to successfully bleed the
brakes with that installed.  I assume it was the installation position
because others have been successful.

 

Another consideration might be to elevate the nose to help the air to move
to the cylinders.

 

Bleeding the brakes can be one of the most maddening things you will do on
the Velocity.

 

Jerry Brainard

 <mailto:Jerry at JLBEnt.com> Jerry at JLBEnt.com

  _____  

From:  <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org> reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [
<mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org?> mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Barry Gibbons
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:48 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: REFLECTOR: air in break line

 

Hello

For about two month I have been trying to bleed my left break. I replace the
master cly. Three times, rebuild the caliber twice; replace break line to
gear leg and still getting air in the line. No sign of fluid leak. It looks
like it coming from the master cyl. After I reverse flow and no bubbles I
stop. Then when I push on the brake you can see a bubble come from Master
cyl. You wait until the next day you can see more air in the line. But
changing it three times it has to be something else. Any suggestion on what
I can try or where the air might be coming in from. I have done reverse flow
and pumping break and bleeding at caliper.

Barry

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!   <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery> www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives:  <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail> www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:  <http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110418/d61a59e2/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list