REFLECTOR: air in break line

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 18 10:38:28 CDT 2011


Right again Jim, 

I "bench Bled" my calipers Before I installed them. 

I also gravity filled the lines before I hooked up the calipers.

Then I hooked up the brake line to the calipers and bled from the bottom up (with the for-mentioned oil can trick). 

Now, I have a different style of master cylinders, but I accomplished the whole thing in about an hour. Seems fine now.

Kurt 






-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Agnew <jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, Apr 18, 2011 9:12 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air in break line




Before you go nuts trying to bleed the brakes take a look at the attached diagram for Matco brakes.  You will notice that the connections between the pistons are not in a straight line and require you to fill from the bottom piston up while adjusting the caliper position to allow the air trapped in the piston to escape up.  Note the pistons are hollow so the process of keeping the connections vertical also requires rocking the caliper side to side at the same time.
 
Jim
 
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying




From: Jerry Brainard <Jerry at jlbent.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, April 18, 2011 9:49:44 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air in break line


Just to be complete, did you use the little tubing inserts for the brake line fittings?  They go into the line to strengthen the tube under the clamping force of the brass ferrule.
 
Do you have a parking brake?  We were never able to successfully bleed the brakes with that installed.  I assume it was the installation position because others have been successful.
 
Another consideration might be to elevate the nose to help the air to move to the cylinders.
 
Bleeding the brakes can be one of the most maddening things you will do on the Velocity.
 

Jerry Brainard
Jerry at JLBEnt.com


From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Barry Gibbons
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:48 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: REFLECTOR: air in break line

 
Hello
For about two month I have been trying to bleed my left break. I replace the master cly. Three times, rebuild the caliber twice; replace break line to gear leg and still getting air in the line. No sign of fluid leak. It looks like it coming from the master cyl. After I reverse flow and no bubbles I stop. Then when I push on the brake you can see a bubble come from Master cyl. You wait until the next day you can see more air in the line. But changing it three times it has to be something else. Any suggestion on what I can try or where the air might be coming in from. I have done reverse flow and pumping break and bleeding at caliper.
Barry



_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110418/b337876f/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list