REFLECTOR: Canard Center Hinge

jcbarnes411@sbcglobal.net jcbarnes411 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 13 17:54:07 CDT 2011


Hi Richard, didn't you just WEAKEN the torque tube?

Regards, Jeff Barnes

Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

----- Reply message -----
From: "Richard J. Gentil" <richard at naples-air-center.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm
Subject: REFLECTOR: Canard Center Hinge
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>

Don,

Those were the bearings I ordered last month. Their outer diameter turned it to be a fraction larger then the inner diameter of the torque tubes. I solved the issue be taking a piece of a wooden broom handle, mounting it on the end of a drill, wrapping the broom handle with sandpaper and reaming out the inner diameter of the torque tubes. 

I used normal washers as spacers and two large area washers against the center hinge to make sure the bolt could not pivot from side to side. 



Richard 

Sent from my iPhone 4

On Apr 13, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Don Johnston <don at numa.aero> wrote:

> I almost always end up on the "aviation grade" part side of the fence...
> 
> The McMaster-Carr bearings are a very high quality bearing and they only cost $7.10 each. I don't have an Aircraft-Spruce version but I wouldn't be a bit surprised is they were identical.
> 
> http://www.mcmaster.com/#6384k55/=buzun1
> 
> The other thing I did was to use a large area washer on either side of each bearing that's a little smaller than the OD of the bearing.
> 
> -Don
> 
> Don Johnston
> www.velocity-xl.com
> 
> Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 07:48:04 -0500
> From: " Brett Ferrell " <reflector at velocityxl.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Canard Center Hinge
> To: reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
> 
> There is now a [LINK:
> http://www.velocityxl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Elevator_Center_Bearing]
> Wiki page describing this modification, with a complete parts list with
> links to the Aircraft Spruce parts page.  The mod can be purchased for
> under $50 currently.  Thanks to [LINK:
> http://www.velocityxl.com/album.php?albumid=24] Bill Mulrooney for the
> design and [LINK: http://kal-soft.com/velocity/] Andy Millin for the
> pictures.
> 
> Brett
> N44VF
> 
> 
> 
> http://www.mcmaster.com/#6384k55/=buzun1
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110413/9a17e50f/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list