REFLECTOR: Dynon vs Grand Rapids
Lawrence Epstein
ljepstein at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 12:03:23 CDT 2011
Will the Dynon interface with other autopilots (TruTrak)? I plan to install
the TruTrak, no matter which EFIS I pick. This give a independent/3rd
attitude source and ( think it is much more capable than either companies'
product.
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Peter Braswell
<peter.braswell at gmail.com>wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> Full disclosure: I'm a Dynon Dealer but I wasn't before I bought my SV
> system. I am a disgruntled BMA guy. :)
>
> My other plane is a Glastar and I installed a SV system in it last July
> after the BMA went Tango Uniform on me. I was delighted with the system and
> the company and I embarked on opening up a small business and becoming a
> dealer.
>
> I've got a 7" system with an autopilot interfacing my SL30. Not hardcore
> IFR but not bad. The SV system has 5 serial ports available and will
> interface just about anything that puts out a NEMA or compatible digital
> serial signal.
>
> With the price and with a interface to an IFR nav device, it's pretty hard
> to beat the SV. Add a GNS-430 and the ARNIC 429 interface and you'll get
> VNAV and all the IFR/GPS goodness you could possibly want.
>
> I've got my system backed up by a Dynon D10A. The autopilot, installation
> and performance have been absolutely wonderful.
>
> Possible cons: Dynon's software is a little immature with regard to
> features (not reliability). It does have moving map, synthetic vision and
> most of the other stuff you'd want. It DOES NOT have multiple way points
> and it does not display ETA/ETE information - although this is on the
> software release roadmap and they seem to be releasing software 2-3 times
> per year.
>
> They also have a MUCH larger install base than the other guys by far which
> means there's more eyeballs looking at the system and reporting issues.
> Support is first rate also.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Peter
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out:
> *"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*
> *Selling your Airplane?* : www.fly-mart.com
> *Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*
> My blog: www.icekreamkoan.com
> --------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Lawrence Epstein <ljepstein at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Anybody flying behind the Dynon Skyview?
>>
>> I had pretty much settled on the Grand Rapids, because of a perceived
>> superiority for IFR operations, but the Skyview is considerably less
>> expensive than a comparable GRI system for IFR and you can have a Mode S
>> transponder, all for about $2000 less than the GRI alone.
>>
>> It would be helpful to hear from someone flying either system, IFR.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Larry Epstein
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110413/c01cbcb6/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list