REFLECTOR: Running LOP -- Climbing or Cruising

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Nov 11 19:37:19 CST 2010


I don't know.  I think you should ask an A&P.

On 11/11/2010 03:23 PM, aminetech at bluefrog.com wrote:
>
>
> --- michalk at awpi.com wrote:
>
> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
> To: bobj at jaxtechllc.com, Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Running LOP -- Climbing or Cruising
> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:14:33 -0600
>
> There's lots of very technical literature on detonation.
> Detonation occurs during normal operations, because it's a random 
> event.  We just want to minimize the probability of it happening, 
> causing a sympathetic feedback.
>
> There's a few things we can do to prevent detonation.  Not all of them 
> are reasonable as a matter of operational parameters.
> * lower the (cylinder) charge temperature
> * increase RPM
> * decrease cylinder volume
> * decrease (cylinder) manifold pressure
> * increase the octane of the fuel
>
> If one has a runaway CHT on a cylinder, it's probably detonation.  The 
> event scrubs the cylinder walls of a thin layer of insulating gasses, 
> causing a feedback loop exacerbating the problem.  If this is 
> happening, try a cooler spark plug.  This is a plug with less reach 
> into the cylinder.
> Brian,
> That's interesting.  I'm currently have spark plug issues and I'm 
> planning to try a cooler plug.  Could I simply add a washer to my 
> existing plugs to get less reach and effectively make it cooler?
> John
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20101111/14d5c9ab/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list