REFLECTOR: Auto engine installed 172

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 15:26:34 CST 2010


You will be happy to know that 100LL fuel has a lower energy content than 
regular auto gas.  So you have to factor that into the calculations not to 
mention the advanced fuel injection and ignition system.
 
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying




________________________________
From: Andy Millin <amillin at sbcglobal.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thu, November 11, 2010 4:01:38 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Auto engine installed 172


The faster you turn something the more energy it eats.  I think it is one of 
those it takes 4x the energy to spin it 2x faster things…
 
More RPM – more power, but you sacrifice efficiency as the RPM climbs.
 
Andy
 
From:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of 
Scott Derrick
Sent: 11-11-2010 12:26
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Auto engine installed 172
 
Brian,

    Why does large cylinder, slow RPM make for a better BSFC?  The slow rpm 
makes a bit of sense because you have more time to burn...

Scott 

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Auto engine installed 172
From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 11/11/2010 09:54 AM


  I have not been able to find a solid number, from what I can tell on the net, 
the LS3 engine runs at a best BSFC of around .45.

I believe most aircraft engines run in the .36 to .40 range.

The website claims 2x better, when the LS3 is not even as efficient.

I like auto engines and everything, but their smaller cylinders and higher RPM's 
are going to make it extremely difficult to get better BSFC numbers than large 
bore, slow RPM engines.

On 11/11/2010 10:35 AM, Andy Millin wrote: 
Hey Bob,
 
I didn’t write that very well.  I did not think you were associated with him or 
were doing any marketing for him.  It was referring to what he had written on 
his page.
 
Andy
 
From:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of 
Bob Jackson (Jax Tech)
Sent: 11-10-2010 7:18
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Auto engine installed 172
 
Hello Andy,
 
The thing is that most private pilots don't run LOP or use an electronic 
ignition, so an auto conversion has a natural advantage over standard issue 
aircraft engines in that regard.  I agree that many of us are milking about 
everything we can out of aircraft engines, and that aircraft engines can be 
extremely efficient and durable.  The primary auto technology that is still hard 
to benefit from on the aircraft side -- I know of no one offering one, 
especially to homebuilders -- is electronic ignition.
 
But -- I didn't mean to imply that I had ANY business or marketing connection 
with Mr. Aden.  I actually know very little about what he has, how it operates, 
or what his STC plans are.  I like my TNIO-550N!   I certainly have no marketing 
involvement -- I was simply saying that Al is an interesting and talented guy 
who happens to be near by.
 
Maybe I did Al (and the Reflector) a dis-service by saying anything at all.  Al, 
I'm sure, has no idea it's even been posted on our discussion board.  I don't 
want to discourage anyone posting their thoughts, comments, criticisms or 
suggestions on his auto conversion ideas.  It's always helpful to anyone who's 
developing new stuff to hear the ideas, concerns and issues of other 
homebuilders.  What a service the Reflector provides to us in that regard!
 
Bob
 

________________________________

From:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of 
Andy Millin
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:46 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Auto engine installed 172
 
Hey Bob,
 
I’m sure he is a nice guy and he is doing good work.  I am leery of anyone that 
claims their engine will use half the fuel.  I have yet to see an auto 
conversion that has a better BSFC than an aircraft engine.  Especially when an 
electronic ignition is added and an EIS is used to run LOP.
 
I know you have to toot your own horn for marketing, but…  it would be nice to 
see a new engine developer under promise and over deliver (or just deliver).
 
I do wish him the best of luck.
 
Andy
 
From:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of 
Bob Jackson
Sent: 11-09-2010 9:01
To: 'Velocity'; 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Auto engine installed 172
 
Al Aden and his Quiet Aviation company are located at the Orlando Apopka 
airport, just a few hangars away from us.  Al's a good guy, knows what he's 
doing, and I believe he will have his STC approved for this engine on C172's by 
next summer.
 
Bob Jackson
N2XF
Orlando Apopka Airport (X04)
 

________________________________

From:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of 
Velocity
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 5:23 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Auto engine installed 172
 
http://www.quietaviation.com/
  
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
  
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


  
  
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
  
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


-- 
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
J. R. R. Tolkien
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20101111/10ce7f17/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list