REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat
Laurence Coen
lwcoen at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:45:33 CST 2010
Lou,
I'd like to give you my thoughts on engine preheat and why I favor the sump
heater. All engine starts are cold starts, even on a warm summer day. When
we start up the oil pressure is zero and until oil reaches all parts of the
engine that need lubrication, there will be metal to metal contact and high
rates of wear. On start up EGT will be hot almost instantly and CHT will
rise rapidly with oil temp the last to respond. My Franklin engine manual
requires a minimum oil temp of 100F before applying full power. The colder
the oil gets, the thicker it gets and the thicker it gets the longer it
takes to get where it starts protecting the engine from wear. My sump
heater will heat my oil to about 110F in the dead of winter and with an old
quilt over the cowl the rest of the engine compartment is in the 70;s with
an over night soak. The oil cooler and oil lines are full of cold oil but
the way both the Franklin and Lycoming work, the external loop is bypassed
when it's cold. I don't know how the Continentals work.
Larry Coen
N136LC
--------------------------------------------------
From: "Lou Stedman" <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:45 AM
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat
> My apologies. I didn't think the oil heaters would heat the cylinders as
> well. If that is the case, I will plan on doing this. Winters in Western
> NY get into the single digits for a couple of months during our winters.
> Thanks
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 11:56 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat
>
>
>> Lou,
>>
>> CHT's in the 70"s are warm. You have to read the whole post.
>>
>> Larry Coen
>> N136LC
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------
>> From: "Lou Stedman" <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com>
>> Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:44 PM
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat
>>
>>> It was my understanding that just the oil pre-heaters do not solve the
>>> problem with cold starts. The oil gets warm but not the cylinders. That
>>> is where the wear can come from. I was told that to be effective, both
>>> oil heater and cylinder heaters are required.
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> From: "Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
>>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>> Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:03 PM
>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat
>>>
>>>
>>>> Karl,
>>>>
>>>> I use a flat glue on sump heater. It looks just like the pricey
>>>> aviation types but came from an automotive supply house I found on the
>>>> internet. I no longer can remember which one. I think it is a 250W
>>>> heater. The plug is accessed at the back of the cowl so I can plug in
>>>> an extension cord and I'm in business. I put an old quilt over the
>>>> cowl the night before flight and when the temp is in the 20's I have
>>>> warm oil and the CHT's are in the 70's. I take a 100' extension cord
>>>> with me when I travel in cold climes and find most FBO's will let you
>>>> plug in for a couple of hours. It works.
>>>>
>>>> Larry Coen
>>>> N136LC
>>>>
>>>> --------------------------------------------------
>>>> From: "Karl J. Warner" <karljwarnerpa at earthlink.net>
>>>> Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:45 AM
>>>> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat
>>>>
>>>>> Hi all, I'd like some input on pre-heating. Anyone using a system
>>>>> they are particularly happy with? I'll have electric power and my V
>>>>> will be hangared in Maine for part of this winter. Any input is
>>>>> appreciated.
>>>>> Karl
>>>>> Velocity SEFG
>>>>> 500++hours of fun
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>>
>>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>> Check old archives:
>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list