REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Nov 9 14:14:13 CST 2010


I use the same system that Doug uses, but I also put a $20 ceramic 
heater in the cabin on the pilot side floor.  I also put an insulated 
blanket or the top cowl and cover the NACA inlets.

So I'm blowing hot in into the engine cowl through the right hand 
opening next to the prop, and blowing hot air into the cabin. The 
engine, the instruments and "me" are nice and toasty at engine start!

It gets really cold in GNT. Below 0 during the months of Dec/Jan is not 
uncommon.

I've been doing this for11 years now on a Bonanza, a couple T210's, and 
a Velocity. The owner of the T210's has been doing it this way for 25 
years, every winter.

Yes if you have a fuel leak this could be hazardous if ignition took 
place, but then so would running the engine! That would put some serious 
heat in the cowling! And a big fan to encourage the blaze!

I do this overnight.  From cold soaked it takes 5 or 6 hours to warm 
things up with these little heaters.

Scott


More information about the Reflector mailing list