REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:49:28 CST 2010


The 100LL and the motor oil aren't fire proof or explosion proof. It makes me nervous putting 120 VAC in the engine compartment overnight unattended. Maybe I worry too much.

Doug
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jeff Howell 
  To: reflector at tvbf.org 
  Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:42 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat


  one of the advantages of buying an actual oil pre-heater heater is that it is EXPLOSION PROOF. the walmart heaters with a little bit of 100LL can be dangerious, Although they heat the whole engine more evenly than the oil pre-heaters. Oil pre-heaters come in a pad form that rtv to the side or bottom of your oil pan. I would rather pay a few hundred more for the explosion proof heaters just for my own added insurance. I would hate to go to the hanger and see my plane burnt to a crisp... Jeff
   
  > From: douglas.holub at gmail.com
  > To: reflector at tvbf.org
  > Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:41:41 -0500
  > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat
  > 
  > I'm happy with my system. If the ambient is going to be below 40 F when I 
  > want to fly, I blow warm air into the cowling overnight with a $20 WalMart 
  > electric heater. It doesn't get as cold in Texas as it does in Maine, 
  > though. You might need to throw some blankets over the cowl to help keep the 
  > heat in.
  > 
  > The guy that built my engine was telling me how important it was to preheat 
  > the engine in cold weather to reduce wear on internal parts. I asked him 
  > what kind of preheater he uses, and I was surprised when he said that he 
  > just blows warm air in from a cheap electric heater. What are the advantages 
  > of more expensive, purpose designed preheating systems?
  > 
  > Doug Holub
  > ----- Original Message ----- 
  > From: "Karl J. Warner" <karljwarnerpa at earthlink.net>
  > To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
  > Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 11:45 AM
  > Subject: REFLECTOR: Engine pre-heat
  > 
  > 
  > > Hi all, I'd like some input on pre-heating. Anyone using a system they 
  > > are particularly happy with? I'll have electric power and my V will be 
  > > hangared in Maine for part of this winter. Any input is appreciated.
  > > Karl
  > > Velocity SEFG
  > > 500++hours of fun
  > >
  > > _______________________________________________
  > > To change your email address, visit 
  > > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
  > >
  > > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
  > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  > > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
  > 
  > _______________________________________________
  > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
  > 
  > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
  > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20101109/ae0f933c/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list