REFLECTOR: Louvers
Dennis Martin
dennis.doc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 09:37:28 CDT 2010
Hey Kurt - can you post us a photo? I think I have a photo of the upper -
not sure.
Dennis
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM, <nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:
> My exits are similar. I have one underneath (right behind the lower
> radiator & oil pan) and 2 on top that are smaller (behind the upper NACA's
> and aft of the fuel rails).
>
> Kurt
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Mon, Nov 1, 2010 5:21 pm
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Louvers
>
> This looks really interesting! Simple and easy to do. I see that this
> extra outlet is in addition to the standard side by side exits next to the
> prop spinner.
>
> I like this.
>
> Scott
>
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Louvers
> From: Jeff Barnes <jcbarnes411 at sbcglobal.net> <jcbarnes411 at sbcglobal.net>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org><reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 10/31/2010 08:33 PM
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> Look at this from Jean Prudhomme. Jean was among first to implement
> the top cooling ducts/NACAs. The big hole is to exit cooling air. Worked as
> far as I can recollect.
>
>
> http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/index.php?display=engines%2Fexhaust_jean_prudhomme%2Fjp_exhaust_1.jpg
>
>
> The picture series was to show his improved exhaust.
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeff Barnes
>
> --- On *Sun, 10/31/10, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net><scott at tnstaafl.net>
> * wrote:
>
>
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Louvers
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Date: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 7:38 PM
>
> Still trying to get my CHT's down where I like them. I consider 400-410 in
> cruise TDH.
>
> I've been thinking about the exit for the cooling air. I've got a fairly
> large engine in a fairly small cowling, IO520 in a STD cowl. I did enlarge
> the aft end of the cowl a bit but just enough to barely clear the plenum on
> top and the right hand exhaust tube(#6) on the bottom. I've been thinking
> maybe I have restricted the airflow out of the engine compartment? As I
> understand air cooling its all about differential pressures between the top
> and the bottom.
>
> I then started thinking of putting a cowl flap in the bottom cowl, right in
> the middle. I sketched it onto the cowl and was trying to figure out the
> hinging on a curved surface, how much movement woudl be needed etc.. I was
> planning on making the door and at first just bolting it on in the full open
> position to see how that worked, If I saw a dramatic decline in temps I
> could then install an electric actuator of some kind to operate it from the
> cabin.
>
> Then somebody mentioned a set of fixed louvers? You see them all over
> Cessna's and Beech's.
>
> Has anybody installed a set of fixed louvers in the bottom cowl and had it
> improve their cooling? Maybe a set below each side of jugs?
>
> Scott
>
> -- It is with our passions, as it is with fire and water, they are good
> servants but bad masters.
> Aesop
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> --
> Stand porter at the door of thought.
> Mary Baker Eddy
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
--
All the best,
Dennis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20101102/8ee934ea/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list