REFLECTOR: air oil separators

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 9 16:51:36 CST 2010


Jeff,

The only helicopter I know of that used the Franklin was the Bell 47 and that used the 6/V/335XX, 6/V/350XX which is the vertical mount version.  The 350 was rated at 235HP but the extra HP came from running them at 3400 RPM.  The TBO was only 800 hours.  If you have a 6A350C1L, then you have left turning 205HP Franklin.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Larry Coen
N316LC
Franklin 6A350C1R/IVO


From: Jeff Howell 
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:16 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air oil separators


The engine I am running is the L\H helicopter engine from poland with a few modifications. The first mod was done by total seal. I had the pistons re-grooved to install gapless piston rings. I am also running dual electronic ignition by lightspeed. You are right about not producing the hp at a low manifold pressure. I typically run my engine at 2350 rpm 20" manifold pressure and cruse at about 165kts. at 6500ft. 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: lwcoen at hotmail.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 17:33:26 -0600
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air oil separators


I am running the same engine as you.  When this engine was made in the USA it was rated at 220 HP ( Empirical HP),. The one that I have was made by PZL in Poland and rated at 205 HP ( on a dynamometer).  How in the this blue eyed world are you getting 235 HP?  Surely not at 20" manifold pressure.

Larry Coen
N136LC


From: Jeff Howell 
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 8:50 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air oil seperators


to answer your questions I am running a franklin 6a-350-c1l producing about 235 hp. I cruse at a manifold pressure of 20in and a prop setting of 2350 RPM. My oil consumption has dropped tremendously although I still have a small leak due the crank case pressure through the seals. I was using a air wolf (I Believe) a/o separator. The less expensive one is lighter and smaller and does the same thing better... Jeff
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 20:31:24 -0500
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air oil seperators


I am running a IO-360 at about 2400 RPM in cruise. It has eliminated most of the oil on the cowl and I seem to be able to keep oil in the pan after I fill it up which did not happen before.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Scott Derrick 
  To: reflector at tvbf.org 
  Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 6:25 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air oil seperators


  Jeff,

      The info that would be really helpful is, what type and size engine do have, how do you run it at cruise(RPM) and has the $49 unit eliminated "all,most,some" oil streaks from your cowl?  Also did you operate before teh $49 unit was installed so you have a reference?

  Scott

  Jeff Howell wrote: 
    The main difference in the $400 one and the $49 one in the aircraft spruce catalogue is the faa stamp of approval. I have one of the $49 dollar ones and they are composed of billet aluminum (not pot aluminum) and a tig welded base. They are very strong and I have never heard of any of them breaking... They see very little strain and minimal vibration if remote mounted on the fire wall. like I said the main difference is it is not approved by the faa for certified aircraft. Thanx Jeff 
     

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
    To: reflector at tvbf.org
    Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:46:35 -0500
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air oil seperators


    Milt, I don't understand what "pop metal" is. Can you explain?
      ----- Original Message ----- 
      From: Milton Mersky 
      To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
      Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:33 PM
      Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: air oil seperators


      Difference is pop metal frame that breaks in flight vs. one thar does not break. Experience talks

      milt
        ----- Original Message ----- 
        From: Lou Stedman 
        To: Reflector ; Canard Aviators 
        Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:21 PM
        Subject: REFLECTOR: air oil seperators


        How much difference is there in the $400 units and the $49 unit in the ASC catalogue. Why?

        Lou Stedman
        Velocity SEFG
        N7044Q
        Olean, NY

------------------------------------------------------------------------

        _______________________________________________
        To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

        Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
        user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
        Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
        Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

      _______________________________________________
      To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

      Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
      user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
      Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
      Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


    _______________________________________________ To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-- 
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Jesus Christ 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


_______________________________________________ To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
_______________________________________________ To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20101209/41693fd9/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list