REFLECTOR: When bad news is good!

Dennis Martin dennis.doc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:04:28 CDT 2009


I checked on this with Scott Swing when we noticed the blasted thing was
crooked. Following a series of questions, he assured me it was heat treated
- this was before we put it on the hydraulic press. Thanks for asking.

Dennis

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Jim Agnew <jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Did he check to see if it was heat treated?  If not it should be
>
> Jim
>
>
> James F. Agnew
>
> Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
>
> Tampa, FL
>
> Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying
>
>
>  ------------------------------
> *From:* Dennis Martin <dennis.doc at gmail.com>
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Sent:* Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:05:25 PM
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: When bad news is good!
>
> I think I told you I had the same problem on my nose gear. I took it to the
> shop at BYU and my buddy Dennis put it on the hydraulic press and
> straightened it. Much easier and cheaper than shipping and haggling with
> Velocity.
>
> Just returned from week stay in Canada. No computer and no cell phone
> connection. Great get away to visit our daughter (her hubby on sabbatical at
> U Ottawa) and grand kids.
>
> Keep on trucking. I'm back to filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling,
> sanding, filling, sanding, filling . . .
>
> All the best,
> Dennis
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM, <nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, considering everything, that is pretty good news Scott. Keep us in
>> the Loop.
>>
>> My bad Velocity news for the day:  The new nose gear I bought has the Cant
>> in the wrong direction (AGAIN)!  this is the second time this has happened.
>> Waiting tohear from the factory what is up.
>>
>> Kurt
>>
>>
>> -Original Message-----
>> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2009 8:00 pm
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: When bad news is good!
>>
>>   A few days ago I was all set for first flight of new engine installation
>> and other extensive rework.  Hyped up, very nervous.
>>
>> Gassed up, 15 a side, 40 lbs of sand on the copilot floor to move the cg
>> into the sweet spot.
>>
>> Taxied out to the runway, started going through the check list, got to
>> the mag check, lightspeed only, no drop,  right mag only, 800 rpm drop
>> sounded like sh**!!  WTF!
>>
>> Tried it a couple times at different rpms,  it almost died at idle on
>> the mag alone.
>>
>> Taxied back to the hanger, put her in and closed the door.
>>
>> The EGT's didn't make any sense, some times #1 was cool, next run it has
>> hot?   Checked timing, right on. Plugs were kinduv black but I've been
>> messing with the mixture  map trying to get it right sense the original
>> setup was for a turbo so was not surprised to see rich running plugs.
>>
>> Today I pulled the mag, what do you know,  points were fried, condenser
>> was toast.  Took the points and condenser out of the mag I removed to
>> make room for the lightspeed  and  was back in business!
>>
>> Whats the good news????
>>
>> This mag has been toast since just after I initially ran the engine and
>> tested the mags.  Once I get the new points in it, my static RPM jumped
>> up to +2200!  WooHoo!!!  Much better than the 1050-1100 I've been seeing!
>>
>> All this time of whining about low Static RPMs and turns out the prop
>> looks to be dialed in pretty close, and it was a bad mag after all.
>> Hidden behind a well running lightspeed which makes the engine run
>> smooth in spite of the  almost non-existent mag.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
>
> --
> All the best,
> Dennis
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



-- 
All the best,
Dennis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090929/3d72cba4/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list