REFLECTOR: N647JA Flys!

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Sep 28 18:03:21 CDT 2009


Chuck,

My plane combo is Std RG with a IO520, overhead NACA's.  I put standard
size VG's in front of the NACA's already.  Somebody did mention that
they may need to be larger as in 1/2 inch tall. mine are 1/4 inch.  So
I'm going to carve out a larger set and try that. 

Yeah the static is way to low.  I've already sent this prop back to
Catto twice to re-pitch it and not seeing much of a result for the $$$
it costs every time.  I think I can continue testing with this prop but
I have to either send it back again, or get another.  I've been a loyal
Catto customer for 6 years, but Its loosing its luster. Any
recommendations for pusher fixed pitch props?

Scott

Chuck wrote:
> Congrats, Scott.
>
> I think most first flights have high temp problems, but they're
> curable. I don't remember which plane/engine combo you have, but if
> you have the overhead naca ducts, you might try installing some vg's
> at the front of the entrance. I made mine out of 1/2" angle aluminum
> and it dropped my temps by 15 deg F (I have Std RG IO360-Catto).
>
> If you're only getting 2000-2150 rpm at t/o, that's really too low.
> RPM and hp are directly related so you're down 20% (2000/2500) at t/o.
> I had a similar problem (cruise prop) until I installed a turbo (I'm
> also looking at a Vesta CS prop). You can get excess heating if your
> timing is off. Good luck and way to go.
>
> Chuck H
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 7:50 AM
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: N647JA Flys!
>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 260 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090928/398d26e6/attachment.pgp>


More information about the Reflector mailing list