REFLECTOR: Radio weak and scratchy

Kirk Aragon aragon_kirk at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 4 08:57:24 CDT 2009



Rene,

 

I experience many radio problems and I have Shaw wings also. Two years ago when I was at the factory, they confirmed that the winglets are carbon fibre and explained to me that radio waves will "ground" (maybe not the exact word that they used) to the carbon.

 

I can receive from 60+ miles away, but transmission is only good for 2-3 miles. I currently carry a portable tranciever and when I get tired of hearing everyone telling me I'm "breaking up," I switch to it. With the portable, I can talk with ATC at 30+ miles.

 

I've tried the "Advanced Aircraft Electronics" no ground plane antenna at the front pillar on the pilot side door, but have not noted substantial improvement in performance. I attribute that to the curved path that the antenna must take to conform to the aircraft hull. 

 

Since there are no other flat and vertical surfaces in the aircraft, I am unsure as to what my next steps will be to correct this issue. Perhaps some "surgery" on the winglets to create fiberglass windows. Maybe glassing in an aluminum or stell mesh in the floor of the aircraft and mounting an external antenna.

 

I would be interested in your fix if you find one. I would also be interested in other aircraft owners (with Shaw wings) radio experience.

 

Cheers

 

Kirk 

N360TV, 1996 Velocity SERG
TO-360-E1A6D







 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me


 


From: dugasd at bellsouth.net
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 18:08:57 -0500
Subject: REFLECTOR: Radio weak and scratchy





Dear Radio Wave Gurus,
I have a number one radio that is weak and scratchy per ATC. I have dual Garmin 430s with Shaw wings and embedded ant.  I cleaned all my connections in the radio stack and the BNC connectors to the wing ant connection.  I confirmed continuity of the shielding and central conductor.  I had made no changes in over 300 hour of flying without problem.  So I sent it in to Garmin who “realigned something” and charged me $1,000.00 through my avionics shop.  It is no better.  Can only partially be heard by atc on the taxiways.  I suspect and antenna or wiring problem but I am unsure what to do next.  I have run a new coax outside of the plane to the wing BNC and no difference.  If it is the antennae what can it be and how do I check it?  If it is the rack – ideas?  My next thought was to replace the BNC connector on the antenna itself but I was reluctant to if I was just missing something.  I now have upgraded both 430s and can swap them in the rack and it seems to be slot one problem.  I don’t think it is a Garmin problem.
Any help would be appreciated.  Is there a Radio Shack fix? 
Rene’

CyberDefender has scanned this email for potential threats.
Version 2.0 / Build 4.03.29.01
Get free PC security at http://www.cyberdefender.com 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090904/10a428b0/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list