REFLECTOR: Radio weak and scratchy

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 3 23:20:29 CDT 2009


Please clarify this statement (I confirmed continuity of the shielding and central conductor.). You should not have continuity between the shield and the center conductor of your foil type antenna in your winglet. It should read open when you connect one lead of your meter to the center connector and the other lead of your meter to the shield. I suspect that you meant to say that your shield has continuity and that your center conductor has continuity to themselves between your radio connector and the wing disconnect BNC connector. If you do have continuity between the center conductor and shield, you have a short in your winglet foil antenna. If it was installed by the plans there should have been a 1/2 inch gap between the two 21 inch long copper foil antennas.

Andy Ellzey



----- Original Message ----
From: Tom <tomcat05 at comcast.net>
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:17:18 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Radio weak and scratchy

I used this for my #2 radio and it outperforms the embedded winglet antennas.

http://www.miracleantenna.com/AirWhip.htm



Dear Radio Wave Gurus,

I have a number one radio that is weak and scratchy per ATC. I have dual
Garmin 430s with Shaw wings and embedded ant.  I cleaned all my connections
in the radio stack and the BNC connectors to the wing ant connection.  I
confirmed continuity of the shielding and central conductor.  I had made no
changes in over 300 hour of flying without problem.  So I sent it in to
Garmin who "realigned something" and charged me $1,000.00 through my
avionics shop.  It is no better.  Can only partially be heard by atc on the
taxiways.  I suspect and antenna or wiring problem but I am unsure what to
do next.  I have run a new coax outside of the plane to the wing BNC and no
difference.  If it is the antennae what can it be and how do I check it?  If
it is the rack - ideas?  My next thought was to replace the BNC connector on
the antenna itself but I was reluctant to if I was just missing something.
I now have upgraded both 430s and can swap them in the rack and it seems to
be slot one problem.  I don't think it is a Garmin problem.

Any help would be appreciated.  Is there a Radio Shack fix? 
Rene'


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list