REFLECTOR: Retrofit NACA from armpit scoops

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 14:17:48 CDT 2009


Retrofit NACA from armpit scoopsMy oil cooler is mounted on the firewall. These pictures show how I get air to it. First I started with a divergent wall submerged inlet (i.e., NACA scoop), then a parallel wall, then a small scoop, then the scoop you see now. Along the way I also experimented with different outlet scoops until I arrived at the one you see. Of course nobody wants big honkin' scoops hanging on their airframe, and I tried to avoid it. But this is what it takes to cool my oil, and I didn't notice any drop in cruise speed, although there must be some. I was careful, though, to create a smooth, slowly expanding inlet plenum.

Doug Holub
Standard FG w/ electric nose lift, 100.6 hrs
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Andrew Judge 
  To: reflector at tvbf.org 
  Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:32 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Retrofit NACA from armpit scoops




  I was wondering if anyone on the list done the change from armpit scoops to NACA cooling?

  I really want to make the change due to maintenance and cooling on my Standard Fixed. The SCAT is killing me every time I have to remove the cowlings.

  If so, what difference in ease of maintenance, cooling and speed (if any) have you noticed? I'll probably do the down exhaust too.

  I also have a second oil cooler aft. How do you route air into that?

  Andy Judge
  N55AJ
  KTMB 



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091025/b470ea87/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Oct2009 003.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 50193 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091025/b470ea87/attachment-0003.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Oct2009 001.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 57459 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091025/b470ea87/attachment-0004.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Oct2009 002.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 64376 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091025/b470ea87/attachment-0005.jpg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list