REFLECTOR: Duct Ventillation

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Oct 20 19:54:49 CDT 2009


Several months ago, with the ideas of Barry and others, I ventillated my pilot side duct
to keep heat from oil lines entering the cabin.  It turned out a simple mod.  I just cut
a 2x2" opening in the outside skin, just ahead of the firewall, made a reverse scoop and
siliconed it over the cut out.  I also siliconed where the oil lines enter the engine
compartment to prevent air going to/from the engine compartment.  It keeps the duct area
nice and cool.
With the winter weather coming, the heat from the oil lines is no longer unwanted, so I
decided to put duct tape over the reverse scoop and departed on a 929 mile trip from MS
to NY.  Shortly after levelling off at 7500, something smelled like it was hot or
burning.  It was faint.  At first I thought it could be my brakes which I often smell
right after I retract, but they should have been cool by the time I reached cruise.  I
began feeling around.  The duct in front of the front seat was slightly warm.  Then I
reached behind with my left hand and the duct area was too hot to touch.  So I landed
and removed the tape.  No problems after that.  Has anyone else sealed the either duct
end and noted how warm the duct gets?

John



More information about the Reflector mailing list