REFLECTOR: Nose Cooler Pressure Study

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 12 12:49:41 CDT 2009


I extended my exit to make a positive vacuum.  Have not measured but works
very well.

Rene'

Attached pic if it goes through.

 

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Brent Bourgeois
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:14 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Cooler Pressure Study

 


Jon,

I have the arm pit scoops.  Probably slightly smaller than the plans call
for. Built them big before understanding what I was doing.  Lots of testing
and I have CHT probes under the cylinder and under the top plugs for
measurment. IO 360-A1A

Brent 

N61VB

Std RG

--- On Sat, 10/10/09, Bachman, Jonathan <Jonathan.Bachman at mtsi-va.com>
wrote:


From: Bachman, Jonathan <Jonathan.Bachman at mtsi-va.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Cooler Pressure Study
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 9:15 PM

Brent,

 

What kind of engine cooling inlets do you have?  I have under wing (not arm
pit type) and think they are not very efficient.

 

Jon

N956DR

1992 Std RG

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Brent Bourgeois
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:59 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Nose Cooler Pressure Study

 


Scott,

I have spent a lot of time getting my oil cooler working properly. Before
cutting anything, please do a basic pressure study to understand what is
going on. All you need is a plastic tube about 1 inch in front of the cooler
and one in the exit duct. Route them inside and use a airspeed indicator to
get an inlet press and an outlet press. The key is to maximize the
differential.  

I have pages of data that prove (at least on my plane ) that the problem is
positively not getting the air in, but getting it out. 

One example is : 155mph on the pitot, 88mph on the cooler face and 10 mph in
the exit duct. I was eventually able to get the exit duct to 0. This 88mph
proved to be the max oil cooler inlet speed all the way past 220 pitot
speed. 

I think that once the inlet pressures up, the air stops entering and flows
on by. Once I got max vacuum possible behind the cooler I was able to block
off some of the (weird NACA type)  inlet and not raise the oil temp.

I believe the trick is to find a reverse scoop or lip arrangement that
maximizes the air extraction

I had thermocouples on the cooler inlet and outlet lines. The front cooler
is worth 15 to 20 degrees in oil temp.

I also found this method very useful at maximizing engine cooling while
making the air inlets smaller. 

Let me know if I can help.

 

Brent 

N61VB

Std RG

 

 

 

 

 

 


-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:  <http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 



CyberDefender has scanned this email for potential threats.
Version 2.0 / Build 4.03.29.01
Get free PC security at http://www.cyberdefender.com 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091012/d78f8bf8/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Velocity Painted mod 004.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 79784 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091012/d78f8bf8/attachment-0001.jpg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list